Guardian propspects
We did all that research years ago and ended up going for the livestock guardian dogs. I considered a burro but was concerned about founder (we have a very lush property). I also considered a llama, but we have bears and mountain lions in addition to coyotes and after a neighbor's llama got killed by a bear we decided that a llama wouldn't be enough. So we settled on dogs, which was probably my least favorite option but they have worked out well as far as keeping predators away. They bark a LOT which can be very annoying but it means nothing sinister comes near our property to even salivate over our goats. We also had a lot of trouble with one of our dogs roaming the countryside. We ended up buying a Garmin tracking collar that would alert us when he left the 300 yard radius we gave him. It shows us where he is on our handheld device and then we can beep him to come back. If he doesn't respond we can up the stakes by zapping him until he comes back. It took some training time, but eventually he learned to stay home. And if he ever leaves home (pretty rare these days), we can recall him immediately with a single buzz tone. I haven't had to zap him in ages. It was expensive but well worth the money.

We have a Pyrenees/Australian Shepherd cross and an Anatolian Shepherd. I don't like the long hair on the Pyr cross. It's way too much for our climate. She does well in the winter but she's miserable all summer and tries to cool herself by laying down under my trailer or going in the horse trough. I've almost run over her a couple of times when I didn't see her under the trailer, and she ruins the water if she climbs in the trough. Since I'm on a cistern this is a huge pain. I ended up giving her a special paddle pool to lay in. I won't get another dog with hair that long.

One thing to watch out for since you have other dogs is to make sure your LGD gets along with them, and that your other dogs don't ever mess with your livestock. My neighbors had LGD's to guard their goats and Blue Heelers to work their cattle. One time a Heeler got in with the goats and tried to herd them and the LGD killed it. This could happen with a llama too if your labs get in with the goats.

Good luck!

Messages In This Thread
Guardian propspects - by seth s - 07-07-2021, 08:43 PM
RE: Guardian propspects - by Nanno - 07-08-2021, 09:18 PM
RE: Guardian propspects - by seth s - 07-08-2021, 10:16 PM
RE: Guardian propspects - by Nanno - 07-09-2021, 06:57 AM
RE: Guardian propspects - by seth s - 07-09-2021, 03:34 PM
RE: Guardian propspects - by Nanno - 07-09-2021, 04:15 PM
RE: Guardian propspects - by seth s - 07-09-2021, 04:47 PM