9th Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation" -- It's About Time!!
I said the hike was all about George and Butterfly, but George thought it was all about him--exclusively. He exuded the very essence of "King George" on this entire hike. Everywhere he went, his attitude boldly declared ownership of the entire surrounding landscape. "This is mine!" he said, and dared anyone to challenge his eminence. 

Look at the deep, powerful chest on this guy! Yes, he likes to puff it out, but he has a lot of natural endowment there too. I think he's going to be a very strong packgoat when he grows up.  

At some point, George obtained a lofty crown for his noble brow. 

"All hail King George!" 

As kingly as he looks, George did experience one very undignified moment of panic when he made a bold but foolish exploration around the wrong side of a huge boulder. It was about 30 feet tall with the back stuck in the dirt hillside and the front facing out to form a tall cliff with an undercut at the bottom. While the rest of us skirted around the back of the boulder in search of a steep but passable way down on the other side, George walked across the top to peer off the face of it. There was a narrow little "trail" that led him down and around along the cliff face until it suddenly petered out. There was no way forward and the spot was too narrow and steep to turn around safely. George wasn't experienced enough to know how to back up or turn on the spot in such a tricky place, so he crouched down close to the rock and began to bawl. I was still at the top of the boulder so Herb yelled up at me to go rescue George. Luckily he was only a couple feet below the top so I was able to lay down on my stomach, reach down, and haul him up by the collar. I'm sure the scene was terrifying from Herb's view! It looked like George might take a plunge off a 30-foot cliff. It's a good thing he wasn't any further down or he'd have had to figure that puzzle out on his own.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 9th Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation" -- It's About Time!! - by Nanno - 01-19-2021, 03:20 PM