8th Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation" - Utah!
The problem with this surface was that there was nothing to not like about it until you suddenly fell in. It was like stepping into a manhole. No warning whatsoever. When Sputnik went down it was like watching the lightning sand scene in The Princess Bride. He was doing fine on the surface of hard-packed sand and then BOOM! His front legs disappeared as if they'd been swallowed. That's probably what scared me the most about it. A horse would very likely have snapped a leg or at least strained something to the point of being unable to walk. When Phil sank, his one foot was almost down to the knee in very soft sand while the other was in ankle-deep water on very solid, hard-packed sand. The sand I stood on was also very firm. It was strange. Thank goodness the hole was not deep. I read later that these holes are fairly common and the deepest is about three feet, so you're unlikely to ever sink past your waist. Of course, if you're by yourself or if a goat sinks that far it could still be fatal. The next day I noticed several places where people had stuck sticks in the sand to warn others of holes. We made sure to lead the goats well around them!

Messages In This Thread
RE: 8th Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation" - Utah! - by Nanno - 10-15-2019, 05:43 PM