Pack Goat Closure extending to Oregon
(04-18-2014, 11:28 AM)vigilguy Wrote: "The primary argument though, is that the BHS are ATTRACTED to domestic sheep and goats, which increases the risk."

Yes, this is an argument posed by some. According to NApgA's attorney, THAT statement is NOT based on any science or any studies, and is frankly, dishonest and in-accurate. It is merely someone's biased opinion. If you asked Larry Robinson about his interaction with BHS last summer, he'll tell you that the BHS, once they spotted Larry and his packgoats, they took off like a scalded cat, and had NO interest in Larry or his herd.

This is also one of the reasons why we suggest in our Best Management Practices putting bells on the collars of our goats.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that I concur with the argument, rather I mean to just point out that it is the most pervasive, as to why our opponents justify banning goats from the forest and NOT horses (for example) even though other species can possibly transfer diseases other than just domestic sheep and goats.

However, I think that we should be cautious in backing up our arguments with purely subjective anecdotal experiences, because in the eyes of the scientific community they are less than persuasive. They (our opponents) could easily argue that there could have been a plethora of other variables at play that sent those particular BHS running when Larry encountered them. Perhaps they sensed a lion that he did not, or any other number of unknown reasons.

Furthermore, anyone who has ever driven down the hwy or driven the roads near Salmon or Challis ID in the winter or spring can attest to how tame some BHS populations can be. Ive seen humans walk to within a few yards of ewes and lambs to snap photos, with little to no apparent concern from the BHS themselves. So to say that a mere human presence will always deter the BHS from our camps might not solve the whole issue in the minds of FS ban proponents. Likewise, I for one have encountered wildlife in the woods, mostly elk and deer, that appeared (again purely subjective) to be more comfortable with my presence BECAUSE of the presence of my goats. It seems like in general, I can get closer to wildlife in the woods when the goats are present than when I am by myself.

BUT are these risks that cannot be mitigated? I think not. I believe that I can be an effective steward over my goats, and if I see a BHS herd at some distance, or even in my path, I can make a detour or adjust my route accordingly so as to ensure that there would be no chance for contact. 60 feet is extremely close, and if by happenstance, a ram came in too close for comfort, I could easily scare him off; ie yelling, throw a few rocks, fire a pistol, etc. Therefore, even if there is a biological possibility -although remote- that a goat can transmit disease, I as the human operator of my particular goats can mitigate that risk by reducing the chance of exposure or contact down to an acceptable level.

Messages In This Thread
Pack Goat Closure extending to Oregon - by Saph - 03-29-2014, 12:15 PM
RE: Pack Goat Closure extending to Oregon - by igoat - 04-18-2014, 11:54 AM