Lost Goats in Idaho
With as much time, money, and effort as goes into raising, buying, and maintaining packgoats, I really doubt the owner said, "Easy come, easy go." However, as far as I am aware, protocols for what to do if you lose a goat have not been established by NAPgA and I see this as an omission on our part. Do people know that they are responsible to contact local sheriffs, ranger stations, put out notices, etc.? I'm honestly shocked by how many people I've known who have lost horses but never contacted the authorities. They call a few friends, ride or drive around the area looking, and that's it! It's not like they're trying to hide something--it just never occurred to them to call the sheriff, brand inspector, or district ranger. I think this is an opportunity for NAPgA to outline exactly what steps a person should take in this situation--I'll make sure it's on the agenda for our next meeting!

I also agree with Sabine--if a previous owner has the goats, it should be fairly easy to follow the chain and find the person who lost them.

Messages In This Thread
Lost Goats in Idaho - by packgoatlarry - 10-11-2016, 10:00 AM
RE: Lost Goats in Idaho - by Sanhestar - 10-11-2016, 11:09 AM
RE: Lost Goats in Idaho - by Nanno - 10-12-2016, 09:05 AM
RE: Lost Goats in Idaho - by Saph - 10-12-2016, 05:52 PM
RE: Lost Goats in Idaho - by packgoatlarry - 12-08-2016, 09:29 AM