Setting up a packgoat obstacle course
I've been to a few packgoat obstacle course competitions by now and have also set up a few myself and I'm starting to learn what works and what doesn't, so I thought I'd start a thread with a few pictures of things we've seen and done with explanations in case anyone here ends up competing in or running a packgoat obstacle challenge. This might give you an idea of what to expect if you are competing, and it might also give you ideas if you have to design a course for a show. I would love it if folks who have competed in or run a packgoat obstacle course would also submit pictures and descriptions of other types of obstacles they've done. I'll add to this thread in future as I get more pictures and encounter more obstacles. 

Jumble Poles (easy): 
Make a pile of poles on the ground that the goat must walk through. High score for going smoothly through the middle and not knocking the poles. Deduct points for balking, skirting near the edge, hitting poles, stumbling.  

Bridge (easy): 
This may be set on a tarp to simulate a creek. This is very easy for most goats, but points are deducted for balking, stepping off the side of the bridge, jumping over the bridge, not touching all four feet to it, or scooting over in a hurry.  

Ducking Under Foliage (easy):
Set a pole about 4 feet above the ground and hang "foliage" from it. The foliage can be as fancy as real (or fake) tree branches and ivy, as "spooky" as foil streamers, or as basic as strings of baling twine. The pole should not be less than 3 1/2 - 4 feet above the ground to accommodate tall goats wearing crossbuck saddles. While it might seem a fun challenge to make a goat crouch and scoot under, this would not be safe in a simulated setting since the pole could fall on the goat and/or handler. Points deducted for balking, bumping the pole with head or horns, chewing the streamers. 

Campsite Etiquette (easy to moderate): 
Set chairs around a campfire ring and put tasty food items on the chairs. Set pokers with marshmallows on the chairs and stick them toward the center to make this obstacle more challenging. You can get creative with a tent and tent stakes, a table full of food, etc. The handler and goat must successfully navigate a path through the campsite. Points deducted for goats raiding food, knocking into chairs, pokers, or other obstacles, tripping on tent pegs. The goat should demonstrate carefulness and ability to negotiate tight turns.  

Truck/Trailer Loading (easy to difficult): 
This is one of the more practical obstacles encountered on a course and it can either be one of the easiest or the hardest depending on how it is set up. A trailer is easy for most goats. But loading in a truck bed can be very difficult depending on how high the tailgate is and whether a step or ramp is provided. If a truck with no step is used then this obstacle demonstrates more than any other whether the goat has previously been taught to load at home. For novice classes, always use a trailer or a low vehicle. If using a full-sized truck for a novice class, make sure to provide a secure step that is tall enough and wide enough to make the jump inviting for young handlers and inexperienced goats alike.  

Messages In This Thread
Setting up a packgoat obstacle course - by Nanno - 08-15-2016, 01:57 PM