How do I nip this in the bud right now!
I didn't post this under "Problem Goats" because this goat is normally very mellow. So I though "training" would be a better choice. Here is what's up:
Tonight I was in the pasture checking on one of my does who is due any time. My 2 year old almost 200 lb Kiko, Luke, decided to come up and take a cheap shot at her and he nailed her right in the baby basket. I was mad at him and I shoved him away on the shoulder as hard as I could (a technique that has worked to back down other goats in the past). Well, Luke lowers his head and takes a swipe at me! I think he thought I was playing with him. Well I move out of the way and hit him about as hard as I could on the shoulder again and he spins around and rears on his hind legs and assumes the position! This time he gets a boot in the side of the face in what is as close as I can muster to a Chuck Norris-esque round-house kick. This time he didn't come back after me, so I grabbed a bucket and scooped up some water out of the trough and dumped it over his head. ( I know, not exactly textbook touchy-feely training techniques, but I knew he couldn't think he got away with this). Again, usually he is Mr. Mellow...apparently something set him off when I nailed him after he hit the doe (hoping her babies are ok, they still seem to be moving around in there).
I probably should have "flipped him" but it had been a long time since I read about that and not sure on the technique and frankly it didn't come to mind in the heat of the moment. So what should I do if he tries this again? Was he just playing or challenging me?

Messages In This Thread
How do I nip this in the bud right now! - by SMaxwell - 03-11-2014, 07:28 PM