Bear!
I am glad you posted this, you really do never know.

In the past four years I have had 3 sightings, plus one encounter. Two each Blacks and Grizzlys.

One encounter here in MI while picking blackberrys, close enough that it sniffed the berrys so I poured out a quart and moved out smartly.

Another black while camping when one came into the camp, I banged a couple cans and yelled and it moved out smartly. Both here in MI, our area is considered the Black Bear Capitol of MI.

In Alaska last summer while fishing a big brown came down to the river to do some fishing itself. It was only about 40 yards off so I eased out and away. Two other guys fishing there did likewise.

Two days later about ten miles away I was walking down a trail when a big brown and I startled each other on the trail, close ! Maybe 20 ' apart. I yelled, started backing off and it watched me back off and went his way. Like a real gentlemanly bear.

4 incidents, all thankfully uneventfull. But, after the first I have always carried just in case. A .45, heavy slug , for penetration. if you are real close its going to be luck getting even one off if its needed. A Hollow Point wont stop one, but a heavy slug can penetrate and break bones. Not much else is going to stop one. I dont bear hunt fwiw.

I do like bears, very much, but will always give way to them, its their home I am in, not mine. But when that push comes to a real need to shove back it has to be a heavy shove. Or kiss your butt goodbye, it'll never be the same again.

I am hoping that with lots of activity and others around that the bears in Newberry Natl Monument area will be avoiding us. I will have a lot of bear snack in my little guys to watch out for, plus a new puppy. So lots of noise will be my activity of the day. Its their home, and I will be mindful of that. I havent filled my drawers, yet, but it sure came close that morning up near Glenallen.

Maybe we'll have a 'on the trail singalong' ?

Jake

Mikado, MI

Messages In This Thread
Bear! - by Saph - 12-08-2013, 11:02 AM
RE: Bear! - by deschutes dawn - 12-08-2013, 12:03 PM
RE: Bear! - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 12-08-2013, 08:53 PM
RE: Bear! - by nebs - 12-12-2013, 08:51 PM
RE: Bear! - by Saltlick - 12-26-2013, 08:02 PM
RE: Bear! - by Jake Levi - 03-14-2014, 06:37 AM
RE: Bear! - by gila_dog - 05-11-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: Bear! - by WNC Goater - 05-16-2014, 06:19 AM
RE: Bear! - by Nanno - 05-16-2014, 07:27 AM