Very basic pack goat question
(05-31-2016, 08:59 PM)Nanno Wrote: I have this problem with some of my youngsters from time to time. Jimr is right: a stick is a great tool for preventing goats from rushing past you unless the trail is very wide. When we're in a place where I can't prevent them running ahead (wide road, meadow), I'll make life miserable for the goat that tries to walk directly in front of me. I step on his heels, I bump him in the bottom with my knees, or I bop him with a stick until he figures out that directly in front of me is not a pleasant place to walk. A squirt gun is also a really good idea. Notice that the dominant goats in your herd do not tolerate a subordinate walking right in front of them. They butt them hard in the tail to make them move out of the way. When you allow your goat to walk in front of you and set the pace, you are essentially telling him that he's the boss.

I don't particularly like carrying sticks or squirt guns most of the time, but I always wear a hat. I like to use my hat to keep goats behind me on the trail. If I hear one sneaking up too close behind, I take my hat off and swat him in the face until he moves back a few feet. If a goat rushes past, I'll whip my hat off and plunk it over his face so he can't see where he's going. He usually stops immediately and I can put him back behind me. Good luck!

I'll try the hat trick and report back!

Messages In This Thread
Very basic pack goat question - by sdgoatlady - 05-31-2016, 04:15 PM
RE: Very basic pack goat question - by Jimr - 05-31-2016, 08:10 PM
RE: Very basic pack goat question - by Nanno - 05-31-2016, 08:59 PM
RE: Very basic pack goat question - by sdgoatlady - 06-01-2016, 11:18 AM
RE: Very basic pack goat question - by Sanhestar - 05-31-2016, 09:04 PM
RE: Very basic pack goat question - by hihobaron - 06-01-2016, 08:11 AM
RE: Very basic pack goat question - by sdgoatlady - 06-02-2016, 08:02 AM