Experienced Packgoat For Sale
I would go to the place the goat lives, check it out head to toe, look at the place it lives in (shelter/pasture/pen and look at the other animals it lives with or has contact with. If the goat looks healthy with no indication of CL or parasite overload and I like what I see I would request the owner do a CAE test if they don't have current negative test results in hand. Before a goat is brought onto my farm I need to see a negative CAE test. Once that base is covered I'd bring the goat home, keep it in a separate enclosure where it can see, but not come in contact with, my other goats. I'd do a fecal test and treat if needed and give it all vaccinations to be sure the goat was up to date. I'd spend a tremendous amount of time with the goat to begin the bonding process. I'd wait to introduce the goat to the rest of my goats for a minimum of 2 weeks after vaccinations, worming, etc. 30 days is recommended.

I believe in practicing bio-security. When I go to someone's farm where I don't know them, their animal husbandry practices, or what I am "walking into," I wear clean clothing and I wear my rubber muck boots which have been disinfected. When I get home I wash everything I was wearing and disinfect my boots. This protects them from anything I may potentially may transmit and protects my herd from anything they may potentially have at their farm. Once I know them and have seen their CAE, etc. negative test results and know they practice good animal husbandry I am not quite as cautious.
Goatberries Happen!

Messages In This Thread
Experienced Packgoat For Sale - by Taffy - 05-02-2016, 08:22 AM
RE: Experienced Packgoat For Sale - by IdahoNancy - 05-02-2016, 01:17 PM
RE: Experienced Packgoat For Sale - by dutch007 - 05-06-2016, 08:16 PM
RE: Experienced Packgoat For Sale - by Taffy - 05-06-2016, 09:01 PM
RE: Experienced Packgoat For Sale - by IdahoNancy - 05-06-2016, 09:44 PM
RE: Experienced Packgoat For Sale - by dutch007 - 05-07-2016, 04:03 PM
RE: Experienced Packgoat For Sale - by dutch007 - 05-07-2016, 04:04 PM
RE: Experienced Packgoat For Sale - by IdahoNancy - 05-07-2016, 07:14 PM
RE: Experienced Packgoat For Sale - by dutch007 - 05-08-2016, 06:56 AM
RE: Experienced Packgoat For Sale - by Taffy - 05-08-2016, 08:59 AM