What do do with scurs?
Some goats' scurs are too big to fall off on their own, and yes, some can even grow into their heads. I had a friend whose wether had such a large, inward-growing scur that she had to cut it with a wire saw. However, most are not that serious and will either fall off on their own or you can trim them yourself. They'll probably bleed a bit but not to worry. A little blood stop powder is all you need. Probably the best tool I've used for trimming scurs is a pair of hoof nippers. My hoof nippers are full size and a bit awkward. A smaller pair would be perfect. I've yet to have any goats with "problem" scurs, but if I did I'd invest in a small pair of nippers just for that job. As Charlie Horse said, goats don't like having their scurs messed with, so it's nice to have a good, handy tool for getting the job done quickly. If you don't have a stanchion, the best way to hold them still is to straddle them and clamp their neck between your knees. If they're too big for that you can snub them up short to a fence post using a halter.

Messages In This Thread
What do do with scurs? - by hihobaron - 02-21-2016, 06:35 PM
RE: What do do with scurs? - by hihobaron - 02-22-2016, 04:55 AM
RE: What do do with scurs? - by hihobaron - 03-25-2016, 05:06 PM
RE: What did you do today? - by Charlie Horse - 02-21-2016, 07:37 PM
What do do with scurs? - by Nanno - 02-21-2016, 07:42 PM