Invisible fence
(02-14-2016, 11:11 PM)Sanhestar Wrote: the most danger goats are in in rural/city areas is from DOGS! And I agree that it would be irresponsible to keep them within an invisible fence only which won't protect them from any wandering/stray dog.

Hello All
I have comments/clarifications for all of you.  Idea
The NFS system I used was a "Insulated wire" system that was in "Normal" usage for dogs the wire was to be in the ground about 2-3 inches so you do not hit it when you mow the grass. We just strung over the top of brush off the ground and marked it with "Orange" plastic construction ribbon flags 18 inches long and tied with a simple 1/2 hitch on the wire every 10-12 feet of run length.
2 advantages: 
#1 With what amounts to the transmitter antenna being actually held up above Ground Level by stringing over brush the "Trigger signal" goes further.
#2 The ribbon "Markers" give the animal a very constant "Visual" mark of were their boundary is even in the dark.
#3 All the collars were set to a BEEP warning if they got close to fence before they shocked the animal. It was a loud enough beep you could hear it in camp, plus they had bells on most of the goats collars. 
Night time there was a Electric Corral to herd them up into close to camp with 3 Strands Horse Guard Bi-Polar web tape fence around it. 4 KV  50 mile 12 volt battery powered fence charger on it. 
Once again marked with construction ribbon so they could see it even in the dark. 
BTY: I have for years marked both my Non-Electric and Electric Fences with ribbon as a "visual marker for horses" It works.
At times I have had to "Repair" fence under "emergency "  condition with just baler twin and hang ribbon on it till a good fix could be done. Marking everything with ribbon is something every fence should have.

Note: For any of you "Dry Land Goat People" that have problems with good electric fence performance.
It is Because "Normal" Electric Fence systems "Depend on Soil Conduction" If you are in Dry, Sandy Soils,Rocky, Drought Conditions.
The Horse Guard Bi-Polar I mentioned was designed for that because you have both the "HOT" side and the "Ground" side on the same Tape. Tape is about 1 1/2 inches wide and much heaver than Bayguard Ribbon fence tapes.

TO: Sanhester: Company that makes it is in France I believe. 
The Importer here in the USA is in the Chicago Illinois area. 
I have used the product and have it here right now.
It works very good because the animal get hit with a very hot shock because it gets both the hot and the ground side right off the fence charger. Works very good on sheep too. 

Horses and Mule were High lined as well as any "Problem Goats"

RE: the "Little" "Wireless" dog systems will not work for goats, not enough range or shock power. Goats have more hair and hide than a dog and are tougher critters.
====================
Moving On:
We all agree that in areas were there are large predators. Strong Containment when nobody is around in a good rule to follow.
That is why I was Issued a "Predator" Control Permit when working with the NFS to shoot anything attacking the goats.
BTY: My Rifle was 7.62 NATO Chambered Bolt Action Ruger 77 Mountain Rifle. Ghost ring sights, with a RTZ night vision scope for after dark work if needed.
My 357 Mag Ruger Revolve was at hand all the time.

Now for me here when I take a hike were "City Folk/Dogs" will be encountered on the trail I carry a Air Soft non-lethal pistol.
If a dog messes with the boys it will get stung very good and I have 20 shots to do it with. :Smile

==================================================================

Cattle Panel Shelter with a tarp to lock them up in at night.
See my Postings on the Red Neck Goat Shed Project in a different thread here on PGC.
(4)  cattle Panels in a square out side the goat hut for lock down and bad weather and you have it made.
Note; You do not need the tube gate panels I used them because I wanted more head room for horses IF I need to put one in.
It is 8 foot wide X 10 foot long. WITHOUT the Tube Gate Side walls the center inside height would be about 4-5 feet Just right for goats.
All up cost about $100 with all new materials. Probably not good for horned goats though. Tarp and wire trap points.

Attached Files
.jpg   New Digs.jpg (Size: 44.58 KB / Downloads: 49)

Messages In This Thread
Invisible fence - by Whitehorsebob - 02-14-2016, 09:44 AM
RE: Invisible fence - by hihobaron - 02-14-2016, 05:00 PM
RE: Invisible fence - by Whitehorsebob - 02-14-2016, 09:19 PM
RE: Invisible fence - by Nanno - 02-14-2016, 10:18 PM
RE: Invisible fence - by Whitehorsebob - 02-14-2016, 10:30 PM
RE: Invisible fence - by Sanhestar - 02-14-2016, 11:11 PM
RE: Invisible fence - by hihobaron - 02-15-2016, 08:03 AM
RE: Invisible fence - by Nanno - 02-15-2016, 07:41 AM
RE: Invisible fence - by Nanno - 02-15-2016, 08:45 AM
RE: Invisible fence - by hihobaron - 02-15-2016, 12:26 PM