First back country hike
Took four of my goats Uber, Bradshaw, Pilot, and Buster on a back country hike where I go yearly for fishing.  After two miles in was forced to call it due to all the old growth blow downs, but still had a fun experience and learned a lot.  Spent a little time at the lake catching cutthroat trout and enjoying the views of Snowking mountain.  Later this year plan on revisiting so we can access the lakes that we originally intended to reach.  Heading out tomorrow morning bright and early for a nearby destination, hopefully the weather is cooperative Sleepy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Beautiful area! It looks so solemn and mysterious. I love the enormous size of the trees and all the moss. Looks like slow going with all that downed timber though.
(07-11-2020, 09:37 AM)Nanno Wrote: Beautiful area! It looks so solemn and mysterious. I love the enormous size of the trees and all the moss. Looks like slow going with all that downed timber though.
Thanks!! It's one day f my favorite spots to go.
Thanks for sharing! I'm guessing Slide/Enjar... if so, I had heard there were a bunch of blowdown - kudos for making it thru. I did a horrible abandoned trail 3 years ago with 2 of my goats, the memory of all those downed trees is... epic lol.
(07-12-2020, 06:55 PM)Kat Wrote: Thanks for sharing! I'm guessing Slide/Enjar... if so, I had heard there were a bunch of blowdown - kudos for making it thru. I did a horrible abandoned trail 3 years ago with 2 of my goats, the memory of all those downed trees is... epic lol.
Yes we made it to slide but had to turn around at the otter Creek area.  Plan was to hike up to whale lake as well.  Want to go back with my chainsaw but don't know the legality of doing that to clear blow downs?
Yeah unfortunately Wilderness and chainsaws are a no-no. Don't get me started on that one, the trails in WA are a mess and crews using hand tools don't have a chance of keeping up with it. It sure would be nice if crews could go in say, every 5 years  with real tools...  For smaller "personal" work electric chainsaws are nice and quiet, much less risk of fire and multiple batteries can be packed.  I don't know if WTA or even a Backcountry Horseman chapter would be interested in going in there with crosscut saws.. Maybe that North 350 Blades group.

A few years ago when they were threatening to close the Illabot I fished a few lakes back in there - Marten, Falls, Jordans. Last year some of the Granites on the other side of the ridge, came in from the Cascade side. Nice area. Did not take the goats.
Kat Wrote:Yeah unfortunately Wilderness and chainsaws are a no-no. Don't get me started on that one, the trails in WA are a mess and crews using hand tools don't have a chance of keeping up with it. It sure would be nice if crews could go in say, every 5 years  with real tools...  For smaller "personal" work electric chainsaws are nice and quiet, much less risk of fire and multiple batteries can be packed.  I don't know if WTA or even a Backcountry Horseman chapter would be interested in going in there with crosscut saws.. Maybe that North 350 Blades group.

A few years ago when they were threatening to close the Illabot I fished a few lakes back in there - Marten, Falls, Jordans. Last year some of the Granites on the other side of the ridge, came in from the Cascade side. Nice area. Did not take the goats.
Heading back up there when the temps get a little hotter and the lake recedes then I can skirt the lake, and walk along otter creek to the other lakes.  Arrowhead and whale lake are a bucket list this year.  The Jordan's, and granite are as well.  Hopefully they are doable with the goats.