Baby goat feeding
I got 3 boys when they were 3 months old,and now they are 16 weeks old. They have a large area to browse,but when I let them out for our walks they go straight for the grub like they are starving. I give them fresh Timothy grass everyday for which they only eat a small portion of. I figure they are probably not starving since they won't eat much of the hay,but I'm green with goats so I'm uncertain. They are very happy and full of spunk. I got some grass pellets and beat pulp pellets,but don't know how much to give each one. Help would be much appreciated. I want the boys to be large and in charge.
Pictured: Schmidt

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Oh my goodness, is he ever cute!

When you say they have a large area to browse, is it truly browse or is it more graze? The fact that they're not eating their hay tells me that you're right--they're not starving. Wink If they're wasting the hay then stop putting it out and save it for winter (or just give them a tiny amount that you know they'll finish). Goats won't starve to death in a nice green pen, but they definitely prefer a variety of grasses, weeds, and shrubs to having just a single-variety grazing meadow. Their area may be lush, but if it contains only grass then they'll definitely go wild when they get out where there is a wider variety to choose from.

However, be aware that they also suffer from "grass-is-always-greener" syndrome. Even if their pen has a nicely varied buffet, the fact that the food is outside the fence automatically makes it more delicious than anything they can get at home. My goats have a ton of grass in their pens, but they rarely touch it when I lock them in at night. They race out in the morning and ravenously attack the weeds and oak trees. Later on they'll quit eating and lounge around, but if Phil and I take them for a walk they go straight back to devouring the roadside foliage like candy.

Good luck with your boys! I'd love to see more pictures!
Thank you for the reply. All 3 of them are pretty cute boys. I will cut them back on the Hay. When I do feed the beet pulp pellets and grass pellets,how much should I give them? Here is another pic of the boys meeting the neighbors tonight while out for a walk.

(06-08-2015, 08:28 PM)Nanno Wrote: Oh my goodness, is he ever cute!

When you say they have a large area to browse, is it truly browse or is it more graze? The fact that they're not eating their hay tells me that you're right--they're not starving. Wink If they're wasting the hay then stop putting it out and save it for winter (or just give them a tiny amount that you know they'll finish). Goats won't starve to death in a nice green pen, but they definitely prefer a variety of grasses, weeds, and shrubs to having just a single-variety grazing meadow. Their area may be lush, but if it contains only grass then they'll definitely go wild when they get out where there is a wider variety to choose from.

However, be aware that they also suffer from "grass-is-always-greener" syndrome. Even if their pen has a nicely varied buffet, the fact that the food is outside the fence automatically makes it more delicious than anything they can get at home. My goats have a ton of grass in their pens, but they rarely touch it when I lock them in at night. They race out in the morning and ravenously attack the weeds and oak trees. Later on they'll quit eating and lounge around, but if Phil and I take them for a walk they go straight back to devouring the roadside foliage like candy.

Good luck with your boys! I'd love to see more pictures!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Grass pellets or alfalfa pellets?
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
My little guy is grazing the lush field right now, and enjoying some alfalfa too for the protein. I give him a little Purina Goat Chow too. The stupid thing just suddenly decided he was weened one day so I sold his $35 worth of goat formula for $10. He seems to be doing quite well, except all that lush pasture gives him the runs sometimes. I know the pasture may not be ideal for making him as big as possible, but thats where the goats live so there's nothing to be done about it.

By the way, those are some great looking goats you have.
Grass pellets and beet pulp pellets.
G
(06-09-2015, 06:30 AM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: Grass pellets or alfalfa pellets?

I don't know how much of what to give them and they I don't know much about goats,but they look good to me.
(06-09-2015, 06:43 AM)Charlie Horse Wrote: My little guy is grazing the lush field right now, and enjoying some alfalfa too for the protein. I give him a little Purina Goat Chow too. The stupid thing just suddenly decided he was weened one day so I sold his $35 worth of goat formula for $10. He seems to be doing quite well, except all that lush pasture gives him the runs sometimes. I know the pasture may not be ideal for making him as big as possible, but thats where the goats live so there's nothing to be done about it.

I was told not to give them goat chow? I mix it with calf manna and feed it as a treat. They love it.
(06-09-2015, 06:44 AM)dutch007 Wrote: Grass pellets and beet pulp pellets.
G
(06-09-2015, 06:30 AM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: Grass pellets or alfalfa pellets?

I don't know how much of what to give them and they I don't know much about goats,but they look good to me.
(06-09-2015, 06:43 AM)Charlie Horse Wrote: My little guy is grazing the lush field right now, and enjoying some alfalfa too for the protein. I give him a little Purina Goat Chow too. The stupid thing just suddenly decided he was weened one day so I sold his $35 worth of goat formula for $10. He seems to be doing quite well, except all that lush pasture gives him the runs sometimes. I know the pasture may not be ideal for making him as big as possible, but thats where the goats live so there's nothing to be done about it.

Remove the calf manna and grass pellets and change to alfalfa pellets. It balances very nicely with the beat pulp. Wethers shouldnt have grain as a daily ration.

Your goats are beautiful. The all brown one almost looks like a deer.

I feed alfalfa pellets to my old goat, but no one else gets them except as a little treat from time to time. I've never fed calf manna, so no experience there... sorry. I give grain to my girls but largely avoid it with the boys unless they start to get thin during a growth spurt. I don't have a ton of experience, but don't think an all-natural diet is detrimental to their growth. They may not grow quite as fast up front, but they always seem to catch up. My old Cuzco never got anything but pasture browse in summer and grass hay in winter and he's thirteen years old and going strong. He grew 38" tall and weighs 200 lbs., so I don't think he's stunted. Wink I'm raising all my current boys on just pasture and they are all in good weight with sleek coats, strong hooves, and bright eyes. They'll get alfalfa and grass hay come winter, but nothing but pasture till then. One thing you don't want to do is accidentally make your boys too fat. Too fat is as dangerous to their health as too thin. You should be able to feel ribs but not see them. Don't push the calories unless they look like they actually need them.
I only use the calf manna for a little treat. I thought alfalfa was too hot for goats? [Tquote='Dave-Trinity-Farms' pid='7088' dateline='1433863778']
Remove the calf manna and grass pellets and change to alfalfa pellets. It balances very nicely with the beat pulp. Wethers shouldnt have grain as a daily ration.
[/quote]
"hot" refers to the % of protein. Pellets have just 16%. Thats the low end and very safe. I have feed dairy quality alfalfa (20%+) for many years with no issue.

What kind of loose mineral are you feeding and are you giving them ammonium chloride yet?