Pack Goat Central
What did you do today? - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome to PackGoatCentral (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: The Campfire (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What did you do today? (/showthread.php?tid=306)

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 12-13-2023

Today was a wonderful day. I signed up as a volunteer bell ringer for the Salvation Army at our local hardware and grocery stores a few times during the next couple of weeks before Christmas and today was my first day. I spent 2 hours down at the local Ace Hardware with my Salvation Army apron, my Santa hat, my pot, and my bell with little Pongo by my side. It was a snowy day and not a ton of activity down at the hardware, but Pongo delighted everyone who came by and he delighted me most of all. I worked with him during those two hours to teach him to ring the bell. After about an hour and a half of off-and-on clicker training, first to touch the bell handle with his nose, then with his lips, then nibble it, etc. he started figuring out that he had to hold it in his mouth and shake it. It was awesome!

It started snowing in earnest as I was packing up to leave and Pongo and I were both covered in a wet white blanket by the time we got in the truck. It wasn't supposed to start snowing until later in the afternoon, so next time I'm bringing his goat coat if there's any chance of inclement weather! Pongo rode down and back in the front seat of the truck. I put the console down so it could be a bench seat and he lay curled up against me just like when he was little, with his head resting in the crook of my elbow. We took it slow on the slick roads home, listening to Christmas music on the radio and enjoying the hot blast of the heater. When we got home Pongo was basically asleep and I wasn't ready for it to end, so we sat cuddling in the truck for another ten minutes in the driveway and listened to a few more Christmas carols while a perfect Hallmark snow blanketed the truck. Seriously... I haven't seen such perfect snow in years. It was thick and steady with not a breath of wind, and all the flakes looked perfect. Not too icy, not to clumpy, not too wet or too dry. Lucy (A Charlie Brown Christmas) would have approved. What a lovely day! I can't wait till our next outing on Friday!

RE: What did you do today? - Missy - 12-14-2023

That is so neat!!! Goats are such special animals! Do you think you could get a picture of him ringing the bell on your next outing and riding in the seat!?! Smile

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 12-14-2023

I'm going to try! Pongo is such an adorable little cutie. I'm so glad I kept this one!

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 12-16-2023

Pongo has done two more stints as bell ringer this week and he just gets better every time, although I'm going to have to replace that bell handle! He's chewing it to smithereens. I tried to get a video yesterday but my camera was out of batteries. I'll have to try again next week. We have 3 more shifts Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. I was originally planning to rotate and take different goats on different days, but Pongo is so sweet and seems to be having such a good time with it that I don't see any reason to change goats. He's absolutely precious and he's learning all kinds of new tricks. The only trick he knew before Wednesday was to shake hands. Now he knows how to ring a bell (and he'll even pick it up off the ground if he drops it sometimes, which is a precursor to "fetch"). He learned how to "spin" counterclockwise and "dance" by going up on his hind legs on Friday. We practiced them more today and he also started learning how to go down on his knees and "repent". He also knows to jump up in the front seat of the truck when I open the passenger door and he has learned that when I get in the driver's seat he has to immediately lay down and stay down while I drive. He's such a good boy!! I'll get a video next time we're down there.

RE: What did you do today? - Tater74 - 12-16-2023

Awesome. Looking forward to the video.

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 12-17-2023

No video (forgot to put new batteries in the camera again!), but check out this cute picture! 

RE: What did you do today? - Tater74 - 12-17-2023

Cute, but where is the snow?

RE: What did you do today? - Nanno - 12-18-2023

The snow was on Wednesday. This photo was on Friday and the snow had melted off the parking lot. Wink

RE: What did you do today? - dragonmaker - 12-18-2023

Too cute!

RE: What did you do today? - Missy - 12-18-2023

(12-16-2023, 07:38 PM)Nanno Wrote: Pongo has done two more stints as bell ringer this week and he just gets better every time, although I'm going to have to replace that bell handle! He's chewing it to smithereens. I tried to get a video yesterday but my camera was out of batteries. I'll have to try again next week. We have 3 more shifts Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. I was originally planning to rotate and take different goats on different days, but Pongo is so sweet and seems to be having such a good time with it that I don't see any reason to change goats. He's absolutely precious and he's learning all kinds of new tricks. The only trick he knew before Wednesday was to shake hands. Now he knows how to ring a bell (and he'll even pick it up off the ground if he drops it sometimes, which is a precursor to "fetch"). He learned how to "spin" counterclockwise and "dance" by going up on his hind legs on Friday. We practiced them more today and he also started learning how to go down on his knees and "repent". He also knows to jump up in the front seat of the truck when I open the passenger door and he has learned that when I get in the driver's seat he has to immediately lay down and stay down while I drive. He's such a good boy!! I'll get a video next time we're down there.

Thankyou for sharing the picture! He is the cutest bell ringer ever!
That is amazing all the tricks he knows!  How do you teach the "repent" trick? I think that would be a neat thing to teach Dill. Smile