Pack Goat Central

Full Version: Good article on goat housing!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That is an excellent article! Thank for posting the link, Nan.
This is a great article, thanks. When I was younger, my grandparents lived in a house and they had some goats, but a couple of years ago they retired and gave the goats to some other farmer. I've been missing those animals for quite a long time now, and I was wondering if it is possible to have a goat as a "pet". I live in a house with a good backyard, so it wouldn't be a space problem, but I'm concerned about the social issue. Do goats need a herd? Is there anything you think I couldn't provide them with if we don't live in a farm? I work in an office, as a HR manager, but right now I'm working from home because of COVID-19. However, once I'm back at work, the goat would be alone for about 5 hours straight. Would that be a problem? I'm open to listen any advice about this, and if you think it's not a good idea I wouldn't do it, since I don't want to have a goat if they're going to be unhappy.
Goats are very social creatures and they definitely need a caprine companion to hang out with. They don't do well at all on their own (they are herd animals) and I like to say that two goats is twice as easy as one. Two goats will entertain each other and keep each other company while a goat by itself will cry constantly at first but once he's over that he will start actively looking for ways to get in trouble. He'll quickly become an accomplished escape artist and vandal. He's also more likely to become aggressive toward humans since he won't have an appropriate playmate who he can butt heads with. If you want a goat, get two! Smile
(09-16-2020, 06:42 PM)Nanno Wrote: [ -> ]Goats are very social creatures and they definitely need a caprine companion to hang out with. They don't do well at all on their own (they are herd animals) and I like to say that two goats is twice as easy as one. Two goats will entertain each other and keep each other company while a goat by itself will cry constantly at first but once he's over that he will start actively looking for ways to get in trouble. He'll quickly become an accomplished escape artist and vandal. He's also more likely to become aggressive toward humans since he won't have an appropriate playmate who he can butt heads with. If you want a goat, get two! Smile

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely think about it Smile