Pack Goat Central
Ready for the deep freeze? - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome to PackGoatCentral (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: The Campfire (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Ready for the deep freeze? (/showthread.php?tid=874)

Pages: 1 2

Ready for the deep freeze? - deschutes dawn - 12-28-2014

Tuesday Bend is expecting a high of 12 to 15 degrees. Bleah! Looks like I'll be milking at 0-again.

RE: Ready for the deep freeze? - nebs - 12-28-2014

Oh, that is cold. We are bracing for a cold snap here too, but I don't think it will be that cold. If I'm going to be cold, at least I hope to shoot a few ducks Smile

RE: Ready for the deep freeze? - Taffy - 12-28-2014

I'm sure glad I'm not milking in this upcoming deep freeze!

NOAA is predicting a high of 15* - 18* for Tues - Thursday here with night temps of 8* - 9*. This past week we broke record highs 2 day and matched it another day. We also got nearly 1/2" of rain one day! Considering we only get an average of 7 3/4" of rain a yearly a huge amount in one day. We're still 3" behind for the year. On the upside - even though Tues - Thursday are going to be cold the sun is supposed to be shining! Smile

RE: Ready for the deep freeze? - michael - 12-28-2014

Predicting lows of -9 here. Whenever we get into the negative temps I get a little stressed. The goats seem just fine so far, they sure are fluffy!

RE: Ready for the deep freeze? - Nanno - 12-28-2014

I think we're supposed to get a nice big snowstorm over the next two days. I hope they're right!

RE: Ready for the deep freeze? - Charlie Horse - 12-29-2014

While my goats are sometimes troublesome, they havent done anything so bad that they get put in the deep freeze. Yet.

RE: Ready for the deep freeze? - Dave-Trinity-Farms - 12-29-2014

Yep spent yesterday getting ready. Got everyones water cleaned out and heaters put in. Today before the evening feeding Ill bed everyone down and that will be that. Currently have some 25-30 mph winds that are suppose to last till tomorrow morning. Yuck!

RE: Ready for the deep freeze? - Nanno - 12-29-2014

Well the blizzard is here and I'm loving every minute of it! Ugh Dave... I HATE wind! I'll take almost any kind of weather over wind. It's supposed to get down below zero tonight and stay pretty cold through tomorrow before it warms back up again. But Cuzco's got his blanket and everyone else has thick fur, a nice fat layer, and each other to keep them warm.

Of course, after mucking out the boys' shelter this morning I totally understand why Cuzco keeps his shed to himself. I completely stripped the boys' shed quite recently, but the other day I noticed a smell when I threw down hay and when I mucked it today it was soaking with pee and stank like a public outhouse that hadn't been serviced. Once I peeled back the top layer I couldn't stick my head inside without my eyes watering. Seriously?? No wonder Cuzco keeps those nasty guys out of his place! Cuzco's shed hasn't been mucked out since I put it there last summer and it's still dry and smells like clean hay. He may not be as warm all by himself, but at least he's not wallowing in filth!

RE: Ready for the deep freeze? - Dave-Trinity-Farms - 12-29-2014

Ya me too. The wind just sucks the want to do work right outta ya. So I am heading out to the barn to wire in a new thermostat for the furnace so I can be nice and toasty while I clean it Smile

RE: Ready for the deep freeze? - deschutes dawn - 12-29-2014

I woke up to snow coming in sideways. Dug the dually out to get to work then visited with my friend Bre for awhile. In about two hours the temp has dropped 10 degrees with wind. I need to blanket the horses yet and make sure none of the caprine crew are forcing anybody out of their covered area. Super slick out even with a 4 wheel drive "tank". We have around 6" of powdery snow and it's still snowing. Those of you east of us look out! It's coming.....