Pack Goat Central
Not Quite Emergency, But... - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Goat Care, Health, and Training (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Health and Wellness (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Not Quite Emergency, But... (/showthread.php?tid=56)

Pages: 1 2

Not Quite Emergency, But... - Nanno - 01-04-2014

This is the second time I've seen these symptoms this week--last time it was Cuzco, and we attributed it to too much fruitcake on Christmas, but I know that's not the case this time. I went out to feed this morning and Petunia wasn't interested. In fact, she just stood inside the shelter shivering. All the other goats were extra lively this morning because of the sudden cold weather (snowstorm coming this afternoon). It doesn't look as though the girls drank much (if anything) last night, but Petunia doesn't appear dehydrated. She drank a few sips of warm water when offered but doesn't seem thirsty.

I brought her into the house and her temperature was 98.9. Yikes! No rumen sounds. She looks filled out around the flanks but not bloated. She was not groaning, straining, or crying, just very lethargic and shivering. Ears were cold, but eyes still bright and interested in her surroundings. She didn't want to lay down and groaned a little when I asked her to. Her skin twitches a lot whenever I touch her sides.

What I did: I gave her some probiotics with vitamins and offered warm water with molasses, but she didn't want it. I offered water without molasses and she took a few sips. She didn't want to lay down, but I made her anyway, thinking she'd warm up a little faster, and she seemed so tired. I laid her down on a blanket next to the wood stove and propped a hot water bottle against her side. She stopped shivering after about half an hour and she seems happy to be laying down finally. I get the feeling she'd been standing for quite a long time before I fed this morning. She has not tried to get up. She's not chewing her cud, but she has burped a little once or twice.

Any ideas what could cause this? Advice would be appreciated. She was fine last night, finished her dinner, ate the same thing everyone else did, and everyone else is bright and chipper this morning.

RE: Not Quite Emergency, But... - Dave-Trinity-Farms - 01-04-2014

Id suggest some peptmo or some baking soda to help the rumin get going. Dont worry about her eating just yet. Wanna get that belling going again. Would also explain why she was cold. Once her belly starts going again, she should be just fine.

RE: Not Quite Emergency, But... - Nanno - 01-04-2014

I tried offering baking soda, but Petunia wouldn't have it. I've used Pepto Bismol for diarrhea, but she doesn't have diarrhea so I didn't think of using it. She's only "gone" twice today, but both times it looked perfectly normal. I let her outside to do her business about an hour ago, and she seemed happy to be back with the other goats at first and helped them attack a hay bale. I thought maybe she was on the upswing, but half an hour later she was standing by herself and shivering again. So now she's back on the blanket by the wood stove. Is there a way to force-feed baking soda? Or should I just give her the Pepto Bismol? I also have Tums tablets if she'll eat them (they were a favorite last year at the State Fair show).

RE: Not Quite Emergency, But... - Dave-Trinity-Farms - 01-04-2014

You can put it in water in either a pop bottle or syringe. Doesnt need to be a large amount. A couple of spoons full should do it. The probiotics shoulda helped a bit though

RE: Not Quite Emergency, But... - Taffy - 01-04-2014

Your goats have had so many traumatic changes to their lives in the past few weeks their immune systems could be compromised. I'd keep a close eye on everyone.

I hope Petunia is feeling better soon.

Yeah, it's just been one stressful thing after another lately. Cuzco was so sick the day after Christmas that we were worried he wouldn't make it and we drove him all the way into Pueblo for an emergency vet visit. They didn't do much for him except prescribe probiotics, but he lay shivering by the fire for several hours before he finally started to recover. It's been a week and his appetite still isn't quite up to normal, so he's lost a good deal of weight (not a great time of year for that!), but at least he's back to his cranky old self and seems to be enjoying is new roommate.

Petunia is feeling better. She's been in and out a bit, but overall she's preferring to stay inside on the basement couch (who wouldn't!?). I can hear her stomach burbling again and a few burps escaping from time to time, but she's still not moving much except to turn around and lay the other way. I'm not used to seeing this little ball of energy so subdued! With her belly starting to work again, hopefully it won't be long before she's back out with everyone else. Nubbin will be relieved... she's tired of having to deal with Lilly by herself all day.

Well, I installed Petunia back in the goat pen after she started getting restless during dinner. She loved being in the house all day, but she was also now happy to be back with the other goats. Now hopefully everyone will survive the night. It's snowing and blowing out there and will probably get pretty cold. Petunia won't have any trouble keeping warm--she and Lilly usually curl up together when they sleep. I just hope poor Nubbin will get a spot out of the snow. She would be plenty warm and cozy if she would just curl up with Daisy, but she's the only goat who is still terrified of the dog and won't go near a shed with Daisy in it. Lilly pushes Nubbin out of her shed even though there's plenty of room, but I'm hoping Nubbin's determined personality will prevail. She's as stubborn and pushy as her mother and if she really wants inside, I'm pretty sure she'll go inside no matter what Lilly says about it. At least, I certainly hope so in this weather!

RE: Not Quite Emergency, But... - Huckleberry - 01-04-2014

I will be praying she feels better along with everyone else staying healthy. You and those poor goats have been through a lot.

Just checked on the goats and Petunia looks fine. Nubbin is out in the snow, but she looks fine too. I think she's been inside at least some of the time because she's not totally covered in snow. I'm guessing she gets inside when Lilly lays down.

The best part of today was watching Petunia lay on the couch next to Phil while they watched "The A-Team" together on TV. Petunia was enraptured. I'll never be able to keep her out of the house after this!

RE: Not Quite Emergency, But... - Nanno - 01-05-2014

Everyone survived the night and they all look bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning! Smile
I'm not sure Nubbin ever did get into the shelter, but she seems fine anyways. She's got the thickest fur out of any of my goats, to the point where snow doesn't even melt when it falls on her. I think it traps her body heat so close that it can't get out to the ends of the hair to melt the snow, so when everyone else comes in wet, Nubbin comes in like a snowball.