Pack Goat Central
Sick Goat - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Goat Care, Health, and Training (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Health and Wellness (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Sick Goat (/showthread.php?tid=476)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sick Goat - sydneyjd - 07-18-2014

Hi everyone!!
Goobert,one of my 4 milking goats,was doing fine last night,and when I came out to milk her this morning,she barely had any milk in her,her nose was running, She acted droopy,and didn't want to get up.
I will try to get a video of her sometime.
She is also runny because I accidentally gave her to much grain.

RE: Sick Goat - Teckelhut - 07-18-2014

Too much grain will make a goat sick. You may have to have her checked out.

RE: Sick Goat - Dave-Trinity-Farms - 07-18-2014

runny nose usually points to pneumonia. It can kill them very fast. Nuflur (prescribed by vet only) or at the least LA200 would be my suggestion. Need to get her temp.

RE: Sick Goat - sydneyjd - 07-18-2014

Ok,My dad says she has 'water on the side'. We just tubed her with some electrolytes.
If she doesnt fix herself by next Tuesday,we will have to sell her. Sad

In other words,her insides are twisted. :'(

RE: Sick Goat - Nanno - 07-18-2014

Her insides are twisted? What does that mean and how would she live to make it to the sale barn? I know if you were talking about a horse, the only thing you could do (barring prohibitively expensive and risky surgery) is shoot it. A twisted gut won't untwist by itself. How does your dad know it's twisted?

Hes a dairy farmer,and has put up with these things countless times Wink

(07-18-2014, 08:11 PM)Nanno Wrote: Her insides are twisted? What does that mean and how would she live to make it to the sale barn? I know if you were talking about a horse, the only thing you could do (barring prohibitively expensive and risky surgery) is shoot it. A twisted gut won't untwist by itself. How does your dad know it's twisted?

A twisted gut is going to cause the goat terrible pain. So she is going to suffer until she is sold and dumped on some unsuspecting person? OK. I am like really confused right now. Why allow the suffering just for the money?

She is not really suffering,she is just not hungry. Its like you getting an intestine pinched by another one,and you couldn't get it free. Tongue

What ever...

RE: Sick Goat - Dave-Trinity-Farms - 07-18-2014

Is he a dairy goat farmer or a dairy cow farmer? They are totally different animals and any cross symptom annalists should be avoided. Twisted gut in goats is kinda rare unless they got put on their back. If she is bloated then thats totally different. A squirt or two of liquid dawn dish soap into a 20 oz. pop bottle full of warm water and drench half of it. Elevate the front end of the goat like putting her front feet on steps. massage and kneed the stomach. If you are hearing liquid on her side when moving her that could be her lungs filling with it due to the pneumonia. You really need to take an active stance on this situation. If by the rare chance it is a twisted gut, she will not make it a week and will need to be put down because of the pain.