Pack Goat Central
First Team Outing! - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Goat Care, Health, and Training (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Carting and Pulling (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: First Team Outing! (/showthread.php?tid=1525)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

First Team Outing! - Nanno - 06-22-2016

I (FINALLY!) got my yoke and team pole built with doubletree installed. The polyurethane coating wasn't quite dry, but what the heck--I couldn't wait to try it out! So as darkness fell, Phil and I hitched up our team and went down the driveway and back. The wagon was empty about half the time while the boys got used to the rattle and the noise and having to walk nicely side-by-side (Finn likes to whack Sputnik in the face, which doesn't really upset Sputnik, but it does make him stop moving). Phil and I each took a short turn sitting in the driver's seat with the reins while the other helped manage them from the front. 

This was a good opportunity for me to assess the fit of my harness and see what parts need a few more holes punched. The breastcollar rides too low and the quarter straps are a smidge too long (although they probably won't be too long once I raise the breastcollar). The boys did really well for a first time out, and it's way easier to drive them when they are hitched to a vehicle! We've ground driven them 2-3 times before with pretty lousy results. Goats have such a short "wheelbase" that it's way too easy for them to suddenly whip round and face you or run around each other and end up on opposite sides to the one you started with! Horses are MUCH easier to ground drive! I think with goats it's wiser just to wait until you can put them to a vehicle, which really helps avoid a lot of nasty entanglements and lost tempers since the pole and yoke keep them pointed more or less in the right direction. Unlike horses, goats aren't really that upset by the wagon bouncing along behind them, and even if they are upset (I'm looking at you, Sputnik!), there just isn't the same danger of them running over top of you and getting away.

Along with punching a few more holes in the neck straps, I really need to get them fitted to some bridles with bits so we can get away from these halters. Sputnik's noseband kept sliding down off his Roman nose, and Finn's kept riding up even though both were as tight as I could reasonably get them. And if I use bits, I'll be able to use the overchecks, which should help keep Finn from whipping his horns side-to-side in Sputnik's face. I think Finn is trying to be dominant and keep Sputnik behind him, but of course that doesn't make for a very good team!  

RE: First Team Outing! - Taffy - 06-22-2016

Another adventure begins! Woohoo!

RE: First Team Outing! - Charlie Horse - 06-22-2016

Now that is really awesome. I think an outsider would say this is a very... eccentric group of people. Fine. Everyone else is boring!

RE: First Team Outing! - hihobaron - 06-23-2016

Hello Nanno
Good Job getting your boys hooked.
Now for my opinion:
I would prefere de-horned goats for driving.
I have seen how many ways a horse team even well trained can mess up/tangle the driving lines.
Then add in the horns of goats like yours I can just see driving lines getting all tangled up.
You need some support lines from the breast collars were you are hooking the neck yolk to the pole to transfer the pole load to the saddle as well the neck yolk is with the britchen is your braking system.
Over all you are breaking new ground in the modern goat world here in the USA. Congratulations
Enjoy these old Goat Driving Pictures.
BTY: You want me to see if my carriage(Jack) friend can get a couple 3.5 inch snaffle bits and the price?
Here is one other idea , See if you can find a custom bit maker for the exact size you need. YA $$ but worth it.
=================================

Old Goat Team 1, The Barrels are water barrels they used goat teams to haul the water.

There is a interesting story with this picture the man is leg less due to amputation from war injuries.

Here you go 6 goat power BTY: That is a Singer Harness Sewing machine in the wagon. Mobile Harness Maker.

Post some side views of your RIG and what are you using for wagon?

I have to put the AC into the Red Neck Goat Shed today 90+ and no breeze down were we are at. 
Fans are all they get.

Happy Trails
Good Driving, Pete and Sam have something else to worry about now,. Driving  Idea

hihobaron Fuzzy,Blizzard,Pete,Sam and the Troops in South Carolina

RE: First Team Outing! - Charlie Horse - 06-23-2016

Those pictures are worth framing. I want that little wagon!

RE: First Team Outing! - DownUnder Gal - 06-23-2016

Well done you - they look fantastic Nanno! Is that your easy entry pony cart they're driving? I see what you mean about the halters. I received Koby's bit a couple of weeks ago but due to lack of bit clips/straps, and other distractions (Atticus), I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

RE: First Team Outing! - Nanno - 06-23-2016

Today was AMAZING! Phil and I loaded the boys and their wagon up in the truck and hauled them down to a quiet paved street near the local golf course so we could concentrate on driving our team without the distraction and discomfort of bumpy gravel, hills, blind corners, and traffic found on the road next to our house. It's also helpful to get them far out of sight and sound of the other goats so we can keep them focused on us instead of on home, buddies, approaching suppertime, etc. It really is the perfect road for driving practice--smooth pavement, hardly any cars, very low speed limit, excellent visibility, mostly level with a few gentle slopes, and a really nice length loop so we don't have to turn around and backtrack. 

You can tell how happy I am in this first photo! 

The boys behaved almost perfectly right from the get-go. I have to say, it is MUCH easier to drive a team of goats than just one. They seem to enjoy walking with a buddy a lot better than walking alone in front. We always had trouble getting Cuzco to walk without someone in front of him. No such trouble with these guys! 

Phil and I took turns driving. There were only a few short times when the person walking had to help lead the goats to get them straightened out or moving. For the most part they stepped right out and kept going, even past a few barking dogs. 

I punched more holes in the neck straps this afternoon so the breastcollars are now in the correct position. I also buckled the tops of the neck straps to a ring on the check hook to help transfer the weight from the yoke to the saddle. The only adjustment I still need to make is to let the traces out one or two holes. They were a little far back on the pole. A very easy fix!  

Shortly after this photo, when the goats were going very, very nicely together, I softly asked them to "Whoa", gave a gentle pull on the reins, and when they stopped almost perfectly, I got out and Phil and I led them the rest of the way back to the truck to give them a break and tell them how good they'd been. If they go on like this I think we'll have them ready in time for the 4th of July parade! 

RE: First Team Outing! - Sanhestar - 06-23-2016

Looks great!

RE: First Team Outing! - Saph - 06-23-2016

Awesome!!!

RE: First Team Outing! - hihobaron - 06-24-2016

Nanno
Looks good and I have a wagon just like that, It has my 35 gallon weed spray rig on it. Smile
Notes:
#1 First Picture: From the looks on the ground under the off side goat he had a power steering fluid leak.It Happens Smile
#2 Training in teams with horses from my experience is always easier. The Amish that I knew at home would always have what they called a breaking horse (Mature well mannered Gelding) to hook with a young horse when starting in harness)
I would expect the same would apply to the goat boys. 2 is better than one !!!!
Also from MY horse back ground always hook your goats in the same place when you team them. It is just like when trailing them they will get used to their place in the hitch and expect to be put there.
#3 I noticed you had the breast collars raise up higher.Good !!!
#4 If that wagon is like mine be careful how sharp you tun it with load on, I have tipped mine over with a full spray tank on it pulling it with my garden tractor. 35 Gallon's X10.5 pounds per gallon close to 400 pounds.
#5 Granted this was your first real test run, suggestion move your seat so you can sit higher to see ahead of the rig better. Like bolt a 2X10 on the top of the side gates, pick a spot right over were the pins go through the connectors.
#6 Question ??? How fast did you get going??? were the boys working equally/with each other??
No Speeding Tickets Smile
=====================================
New Topic:
Do you want me to Drop by the Harness Shop, Show some of  the driving pictures and see if Jack can order some small bits? I know he will get a kick out of driving a team of goats with equipment you bought there. Smile
Jack is a "OLD" Carriage Driver, driving equipment for commercial carriage services for years.
Maybe we can get him into the idea of equipment supply for driving Goats. Smile
YOU could be the Person to start a Goat Driving Trend.
 I may give you some " driving competition" in a few years.
 I'll have a team of "Matched Pure White Goats to hook."  :Smile

Happy Trails
Good Driving
hihobaron Blizzard,Fuzzy, Pete and Sam