Pack Goat Central
New Goat to the herd - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Goat Care, Health, and Training (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Health and Wellness (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: New Goat to the herd (/showthread.php?tid=1353)

Pages: 1 2

New Goat to the herd - dutch007 - 05-07-2016

There is potential that I may be bringing another goat into my herd and was looking for insight on how to make it go as good as possible. My current herd are all 15 months old and are de-horned wethers.The potential new goat is a 6 year old dehorned wether that was referenced in the classifieds on here. I talked to the owner and they informed me that he was a 4h show goat and was up on all his vaccinations before they bought him, but they have not been giving him his annuals. Just wondering if I decide to bring him home if I should have vaccinations for him when we get home and if I should keep him separated for a little while? The owner say he is in tip top health and is a very good packer and great all around goat. Just too many irons in the fire to give him the attention anymore. They said he is great with other goats, young and old. I figured if I could get an experienced packer in the herd it couldn't hurt.

RE: New Goat to the herd - Sanhestar - 05-07-2016

I would keep him seperated for a while but don't think that HE will have problems. At his age and having been a 4H goat his body will have encountered many more pathogens (and developed antibodies against) then your youngsters. Antibodies are for live, they don't vanish.

Adding vaccinations to the stress of moving and switching herds could in fact deplete his immune system to the point where he becomes sick (vaccines deplete the vitamin c stores).

RE: New Goat to the herd - hihobaron - 05-08-2016

To  Dutch007
My take on new goat especially Older "Experienced" one.
This is coming from my Equine/other livestock back ground.
I have worked at a FDA livestock Isolation Station for export approved farm, Equine for export (Race Horses to Japan)
Moving on:
Isolate, but in a way that he can see his new herd mates, It will help with herd integration later, 7-10 days.
RE:
Sanhestar Comment
"At his age and having been a 4H goat his body will have encountered many more pathogens (and developed antibodies against) then your youngsters. Antibodies are for live,(LIFE) they don't vanish.
====================================
Argument:
Don't worry Antibodies do not transfer or infect other goats/animal.
The only time antibodies "Transfer:"  Is in the "Colostrum/first milk" when the animal nurses in the first 24 hours of lactation.
Counter Arrangement:
There ARE certain infections that animals can "Carry" with NO symptomatic signs, in themselves, but can infect other animals.
============================

Blood work can detect that, and we had to do so as part of "Export" approval/Quarantine process on horses.
==========================================

Goats it would be $$$$ the risk is small considering the goat you are getting and not worth the $$.

==========================================
If his disposition, conformation,condition, attitude is good go for it.
================================
The above is the way I judge every horse I look at.
========================
Just my two horns worth

.jpg   Trail Break for the Explores.JPG (Size: 185.05 KB / Downloads: 68)

Happy Trails
He sounds like a good goat.
hihobaron Fuzzy,Pete and Sam

RE: New Goat to the herd - Sanhestar - 05-08-2016

I didn't mean my comment about antibodies to be meant as a caveat in regard to infection risk towards the younger goats but merely that the old goat is less at risk to "catch" something from moving into a new herd because he had much more exposure to germs than the young ones.

RE: New Goat to the herd - IdahoNancy - 05-08-2016

My 10 year old who is not doing well (losing weight and having trouble walking) got his yearly vaccinations a few weeks ago. He looked horrible and acted very sick for 2 days. I wish I had known about the stress the vaccines would add. In hind site I would never have let my vet vaccinate him.
I gave him apple juice with goat Nutri-drench with all the stress vitamins. He slurped it up. It seemed to help.

Sanhestar
You are totally right about "Exposure and having a stronger immune system because of the goats 4-H experiences."
He probably is clean nothing a good worming and boosters for his vaccination's will not fix.
I just yesterday used my boys as "Dart Board's" for their vaccinations, they are still living. Smile
They handled it well, I cheated, did it when they had their heads in a bucket of feed., Yes I can be as sneaky as a goat.
Happy Trails
hihobaro Fuzzy, Pete and Sam

RE: New Goat to the herd - Nanno - 05-08-2016

(05-08-2016, 02:41 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: My 10 year old who is not doing well (losing weight and having trouble walking) got his yearly vaccinations a few weeks ago. He looked horrible and acted very sick for 2 days. I wish I had known about the stress the vaccines would add. In hind site I would never have let my vet vaccinate him.
I gave him apple juice with goat Nutri-drench with all the stress vitamins. He slurped it up. It seemed to help.

Cuzco reacted poorly to his annual CD+T vaccination for the first time this year. He didn't get as bad as it sounds like your poor fella did, but he was definitely off for a couple of days and wasn't eating well (very unlike Cuzco to not eat well!). I decided I'm not going to give him vaccinations any more. At his age something else is going to get him before enterotoxemia or tetanus, and years of vaccinating have to have built up a good store of antibodies for those diseases. 

Dutch007, good luck with your new acquisition! The goat sounds like a very nice one. It will be good for your yearlings to have an older leader to look up to and who can keep them in line when they start to get uppity around 2-3 years old.

RE: New Goat to the herd - dutch007 - 05-08-2016

Thanks to everyone for the insight. I built a quarantine area in a pasture across the driveway from the boys and got his
Appointment set for Tuesday to get a full blood and fecal workup and he will get his cd&t and wormer when he arrives at the house, if I decide to aquire him.

dutch007
Sounds like you have a very good plan in mind.
I agree with Nanno having a "Mature" trained goat (Friendly) wether in with your young stock can be a BIG advantage. Leadership and Manners wise. Herd animals copy/learn from their elders. Unlike our children.
I have always kept a nice gelding/ unbred mare in with foals when weaning, it is amazing how fast the foals come around when they see the "Elder" horse getting attention and liking it.
Happy Trails
hihobaron and the Troops in South Carolina.

RE: New Goat to the herd - Sanhestar - 05-09-2016

(05-08-2016, 03:55 PM)Nanno Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 02:41 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: My 10 year old who is not doing well (losing weight and having trouble walking) got his yearly vaccinations a few weeks ago. He looked horrible and acted very sick for 2 days. I wish I had known about the stress the vaccines would add. In hind site I would never have let my vet vaccinate him.

Cuzco reacted poorly to his annual CD+T vaccination for the first time this year. He didn't get as bad as it sounds like your poor fella did, but he was definitely off for a couple of days and wasn't eating well (very unlike Cuzco to not eat well!). I decided I'm not going to give him vaccinations any more. At his age something else is going to get him before enterotoxemia or tetanus, and years of vaccinating have to have built up a good store of antibodies for those diseases.

there are still ongoing studies on tetanus antibodies in horses that are now running for more than 10 years after immunization (without booster vaccination).

In dogs there are studies on distemper, parvo and hepatitis that show antibodies prevalent after immunization (again without boosters) for 6-8 years, often longer. Recent study on rabies goes into it's seventh year and shows protection against challenge for 4-5 years.