Pack Goat Central
Coat care - Printable Version

+- Pack Goat Central (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Goat Care, Health, and Training (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Health and Wellness (https://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Coat care (/showthread.php?tid=1155)

Pages: 1 2

Coat care - Autumn - 09-26-2015

We are new to goats. We just bought three pack goats, an alpine, an oberhalsi, and a togg. The people we bought them from said they normally sheared the togg in ealy summer but it didn't happen this year. He is very shaggy and matted. We live in a wet climate (western Oregon) Should I trim him? If so, I can't afford to buy $300+ sheep shears, can I just use scissors and the electric clippers I use on my dogs?

RE: Coat care - Dave-Trinity-Farms - 09-27-2015

Dont trim coat going into winter. You can comb him though and try to work out any tangles. If his pants and say spin hairs are really long, you can cut that back to the rest of his coats length. Toggs are normally pretty hairy.

RE: Coat care - Taffy - 09-27-2015

I'm with Dave.  Don't shave him or cut his coat short this time of year.  He'll need it for the winter.

There is a product called Show Sheen that works great for untangling.  Spray it on an area, rub it into the hair well, use your fingers to untangle the hairs.  You can find it at any feed store.  It works great on other livestock, too.  I normally used it after bathing my horses but have used it on dry hair, too.

.jpg   Grooming_SS_Polish+Detangler.jpg (Size: 37.7 KB / Downloads: 76)

RE: Coat care - Charlie Horse - 09-27-2015

Yeah I just love when show sheen gets on my horse's back. It really helps a saddle keep planted and secure...

RE: Coat care - Taffy - 09-27-2015

Smart horsemen don't put Show Sheen in the area where their saddle sets.   Tongue

RE: Coat care - Nanno - 09-28-2015

Show Sheen is awesome stuff. Trimming away excess back, belly and trouser hair probably wouldn't hurt though. Use the scissors or put a long guard on your clippers to avoid getting it too short for winter.

RE: Coat care - Autumn - 09-29-2015

(09-27-2015, 09:02 AM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: Dont trim coat going into winter. You can comb him though and try to work out any tangles. If his pants and say spin hairs are really long, you can cut that back to the rest of his coats length. Toggs are normally pretty hairy.

Will do. Thanks, Dave.

RE: Coat care - hihobaron - 12-11-2015

(09-27-2015, 05:03 PM)Charlie Horse Wrote: Yeah I just love when show sheen gets on my horse's back.  It really helps a saddle keep planted and secure...

Don't Feel Bad CH I had some "Friends" cleaning up my Black Arabian Stallion for a Stallion Parade of Breeds and the put Show Sheen on his back.
In front of 20 K people the saddle just rolled on a turn, and there is video of the whole episode. Good part: used the slippy back to roll the saddle back up right stepped on finished presentation and cantered out of arena. To a very good hand from the crowd. 
BTY: WD-40 works good for de -tangling too.  
Happy Trails
hihobaron

RE: Coat care - hihobaron - 06-09-2016

Hello All
Question for Ya'll
I have already had to pick TICKS off the boy's.
The state (SC) is already pushing for people to use bug repellents because of Zika thing.
QUESTION:
What do Ya'll feel works best or is safe for goats/ horses both.
I would prefer to use the same product on both.
========================
The way I apply bug repellent on horses it is a Pythium (sp) water diluted concentrate. 10/1 rate.
I apply by spray with a 1 gallon pump up weed spray unit.
wet down the topline spray the legs and belly with the wand set for a heavy mist. Stay away from the head.
Use a rag to wipe down ears, face wet with the same product.
All Recommendations considered.
============
Happy Trails
It is Bug Season here.
hihobaron and the Troops in South Carolina.
P.S. This is the time of year were I wish I was out west were it is dry and no bugs. Sad

RE: Coat care - IdahoNancy - 06-09-2016

My favorite: I've used it for several years.
Cut Heal's ZONK IT! 35™ fly spray repels flies, fleas and tick on horses and dogs for 35 days. The water-based formula contains 0.50% Permethrin, Lanolin and Aloe Vera.
ZONK IT! 35™ Key Benefits:

lasting residual action
easy to use insect control spray
safe for use on dogs or horses
controls fleas and ticks on dogs for 35 days