Pack Goat Central

Full Version: Strange gumline foreign object
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone know what this could be?  Noticed it yesterday on my 2yr old wether. 
[attachment=3636]
It's hard. Could it be a baby tooth that never fell out?
Oh weird. It looks like his gum has really grown outward around it, so it might very well be a baby tooth that never came loose. I'm not sure what you can do about it. Does it affect his eating in any way? I'd be worried about it damaging the root of the tooth it's lying next to.
I would have a vet check it. If it got infected it would create all types of issues. Nan's right - it could damage the root of the tooth next to it.
(05-20-2017, 08:33 AM)Taffy Wrote: [ -> ]I would have a vet check it.  If it got infected it would create all types of issues.  Nan's right - it could damage the root of the tooth next to it.

Yeah.  I kind of figured as much.  I looked at it again and it definitely seems like a rotted baby tooth stuck in there.  He's going to the vet today.  I'll be sure to post the diagnosis here.
I hope your vet visit goes well! I'll be interested in what they say.
(05-23-2017, 09:40 AM)Nanno Wrote: [ -> ]I hope your vet visit goes well! I'll be interested in what they say.

She said she had never seen anything like that before either. She removed it and it we both agreed it was a rotted baby tooth that had been stuck in there.  It was stuck good too, it didn't come out very easily.  Poor Basho took it like a champ but he definitely wasn't happy about the whole operation and has been eyeing me suspiciously and acting pitiful ever since.  I think in his mind I was punishing him for something.  I'm glad I noticed it because it was beginning to rot and surely would have caused some sort of infection if left alone.
I'll bet that wasn't a fun "surgery" but it sounds like it's really good you got it taken care of now. I'm sure Basho will forgive you soon! Peanuts help a lot. Wink
I'm glad you got that tooth seen to and all is well now.

One of my goats (Tawny) had a similar procedure when he was around two years old. He had a baby tooth stuck on an angle between his adult teeth and he also had a tooth growing up from under his tongue about 3/4 of an inch behind his row of "proper" teeth. That second tooth was really weird because it was essentially shooting up from the middle of his lower jaw  - the vet said she'd never seen anything like it.  I had noticed it when he was cudding. Anyways, with a short sedation both were removed and Tawny, now 7, has never looked back.
(05-24-2017, 04:50 PM)DownUnder Gal Wrote: [ -> ]I'm glad you got that tooth seen to and all is well now.

One of my goats (Tawny) had a similar procedure when he was around two years old. He had a baby tooth stuck on an angle between his adult teeth and he also had a tooth growing up from under his tongue about 3/4 of an inch behind his row of "proper" teeth. That second tooth was really weird because it was essentially shooting up from the middle of his lower jaw  - the vet said she'd never seen anything like it.  I had noticed it when he was cudding. Anyways, with a short sedation both were removed and Tawny, now 7, has never looked back.
Super weird! It's not an easy thing to notice either.  Im in the habit of inspecting my dogs teeth periodically which has luckily carried over to my goats.  They definitely don't like it.  Basho was moping the first night and acting pitiful the first day but he's back to normal now.  Oh, and he got peanuts right away.  They made him feel better for sure.  Big Grin
Pages: 1 2