Pack Goat Central

Full Version: Best Snack on the Trail for Goats?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought a belt pouch for my goats so I can carry snacks.  So far I've used peanuts with shell on and frosted mini wheats.  Is there a "perfect treat" that is nutritious and light and yummy for my boys?
I don't know about nutritious, but Animal Crackers are very light and most goats think they're yummy. They're a lot cheaper than peanuts and Mini Wheats and are easy to break into smaller pieces.
what would be the purpose of the snacks? As you mention nutritious I imagine that you want them to replenish energy.

Aside from browse along the trail - which goats find very delicious and which can sustain them very well :-) - I would rather look into snacks that are not too heavily grain based (risk of upset rumen).

Sunflower seeds come to mind, beet pulp pellets, banana chips, hazelnuts (not too many).
I think he's looking for reward treats to use for training purposes.
Following
Hello All
I use Oatmeal/apple flavor horse treats, the boy's love them as well as Max my Trail Dog.
Other than the above I carry pellitized  Alfa or timothy hay pellets.
Look close in this Trail Break Picture Pete is looking for the Treat Pouch under my Field Shirt.
[attachment=2399]

They Like Salted in the Shell Peanuts too but then we have fights as I like them too. Goats Lose Sad
Happy Trails
hihobaron Max Pete, and Sam
I use carrots cut up into small pieces, celery and peanuts in the shell. The peanuts win hands down though.