Saddle dimensions
So I work in a machine shop and decided to make my own saddles instead of buying them. I have nothing to go off of besides pictures. I'm making two different kinds one to hold the panniers and one to hold a rifle securely. I need to know how big of a piece I need that sits on the pads that sit on the sides of the goats and that's really about it I can figure out the rest any input would be helpful.             
I think you're referring to the bars of the saddle. Those are usually about 12"-15" long I believe. I can measure mine tomorrow for you if you like. My wooden saddles are shorter than the Marc Warnke or the Sopris saddles. The Marc Warnke saddles in particular need to be on a very big goat in order to fit properly. Otherwise they're too long and they'll bang the goat in the withers and/or hips as he walks. You need to make sure your saddle sits behind the withers so it doesn't interfere with his shoulder movement. You also need to make sure that the bulk of the load sits on top of his ribcage and not behind it.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your saddle project!
(05-14-2024, 06:58 AM)Nanno Wrote: I think you're referring to the bars of the saddle. Those are usually about 12"-15" long I believe. I can measure mine tomorrow for you if you like. My wooden saddles are shorter than the Marc Warnke or the Sopris saddles. The Marc Warnke saddles in particular need to be on a very big goat in order to fit properly. Otherwise they're too long and they'll bang the goat in the withers and/or hips as he walks. You need to make sure your saddle sits behind the withers so it doesn't interfere with his shoulder movement. You also need to make sure that the bulk of the load sits on top of his ribcage and not behind it.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your saddle project!

Thanks for the info! Bars, I saw them called paddles somewhere else. But I have no idea 
Got some more work done on the saddle proto type. Needs a few holes drilled and tapped to add hooks     
It's not the final location  but the only place to currently mount it     
Nice! Looks like your goat will be loaded for bear!
(05-16-2024, 07:27 PM)Nanno Wrote: Nice! Looks like your goat will be loaded for bear!

Bear, deer, if SHTF. We will be prepared over here for everything.