Charlie Horse's 2017 Picture Thread
I havent been able to hike much for the last couple months because my new German Shep puppy, Luna, has been too young.  I've been itching to go visit Horn Silver Wash, just to the east of town, and today I finally put aside my chores and did the trip.  A 3 hour day-hike with 30 minutes of driving to go 12 miles.  The dirt roads are smooth and nice but my tires are almost bald and there is a bad bushing on one of my front A-arms so I took it slow and easy in the old Lexus RX300 with 2 goats and a dog on board.

On foot at last.  In the car the stupid goats were fighting for no reason.  Both wanted their head next to mine as we drove.

The landscape in the San Rafael is often quite the mix and match, but wow.

After an hour of walking on Sand Ridge Loop Road, we found a nice pond.  This was Luna's first encounter with deep water.

In the distance I could see some of the big boulders shining like they were polished.  I had to go investigate.  The rock seems like a conglomerate, yet has areas of this wood-like crystal.  Thats what was shining at me. 

We climbed the giant mound that the rocks were a part of and had a look around.

We turned around at this point and went off-road hoping to follow some dry washes and meet up with Horn Silver Wash.

The washes are all full of amazing rocks if you're a rock hound.  This area has lots of glassy stuff in reds and oranges and yellows.  Pink crystal sheets, black obsidian type stuff, green rocks with black shells, and of course the purple and white sandstones.  This is just a random picture of the ground.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Charlie Horse's 2017 Picture Thread - by Charlie Horse - 10-15-2017, 06:53 PM