Daisy's Sidekick
I have been very impressed by Pluto's response to the all the new babies. Since he is only 11 months old, I've been very careful never to leave kids with him unsupervised, but I do want him to be exposed to them. When we first got Rocky and Rambo, Pluto kept sneaking over to the patio enclosure to look at them through the gate. I let him come in to eat while the babies were there, and he crept up to them very cautiously to sniff. I could tell he was trying not to spook them. Both of them had somewhat dirty bottoms (no mama to keep them clean), and Pluto began to lick them gently. When they startled away from him, he retreated immediately to a non-threatening distance.

Daisy has a habit of always checking out new kids and giving them motherly licks. Pluto has been a lot more reticent than Daisy--almost acting a bit scared to go near the babies--but he's ever so curious about them. He went to check out Delilah's a few hours after they were born and she warned him away with raised hackles and tilted head. When he saw that she didn't want him there, he immediately left the enclosure. Apparently Delilah doesn't trust this "puppy" any more than I do! But he got to check them out later when Delilah went out to graze, and he was very gentle and always retreated if they acted nervous of him.

I'm very impressed. He's a big bruiser and one playful snap of his jaws could instantly break a kid's neck. He's fast and powerful and has a vicious bark. I fear for the coyote or ill-intentioned stray that crosses Pluto's path! Yet he's gentle as a lamb with these kids and hasn't shown one sign that he's going to try to chase or roughhouse them in any way. I will never cease to be awestruck by the amazing care-taking qualities possessed by this large predator species for these tiny, helpless prey animals. It is nothing short of miraculous to watch.

Messages In This Thread
Daisy's Sidekick - by Nanno - 07-18-2015, 08:14 PM
RE: Daisy's Sidekick - by IdahoNancy - 07-18-2015, 08:51 PM
RE: Daisy's Sidekick - by Charlie Horse - 07-18-2015, 08:54 PM
RE: Daisy's Sidekick - by Nanno - 07-19-2015, 08:13 AM
RE: Daisy's Sidekick - by Charlie Horse - 07-19-2015, 11:17 AM
RE: Daisy's Sidekick - by nebs - 07-19-2015, 01:03 PM
RE: Daisy's Sidekick - by Nanno - 08-05-2015, 08:20 PM
RE: Daisy's Sidekick - by Nanno - 01-02-2016, 08:32 PM
RE: Daisy's Sidekick - by Nanno - 04-14-2016, 09:22 PM
RE: Daisy's Sidekick - by Nanno - 04-19-2016, 10:54 AM
RE: Daisy's Sidekick - by hihobaron - 04-21-2016, 06:06 AM