Coyotes/wolves/bears
What is the "coast range"? Does it have the big bears. Idaho has mostly black bears and a few grizzly up North here. Not a high population but we do have a lot of respect for them.
The behavior of our goats definitely change when we are in close with elk particularly if it is a bull bugling. We cover a lot of miles on foot at times for days in a row. My goats are tired. When we stop they either eat or lye down. They do come to full alert when an elk or any animal approaches in the wilderness. The young ones follow the alert behavior of the older ones. Mine don't tend to cling on me or get out of sight. They just stand still and stare at what ever is approaching. Some of them will stand up if lying down when a noisy elk approaches but some don't. It is odd but the goats always seem to on our periphery and have not gotten in the way of a shot of an elk. If we are archery hunting in a pair the goats wander between the 2 of us. When alone they are most often behind me. The goats seem to be intuitive about our intense attitude when an elk approaches. They don't move much if we are locked onto something with a laser focus. My boys have been around bugling elk every September since very young age.

Messages In This Thread
Coyotes/wolves/bears - by Duck-Slayer - 12-01-2016, 09:25 AM
RE: Coyotes/wolves/bears - by IdahoNancy - 12-01-2016, 06:00 PM
RE: Coyotes/wolves/bears - by natemc - 12-07-2016, 09:03 PM
RE: Coyotes/wolves/bears - by Duck-Slayer - 12-08-2016, 02:23 PM
RE: Coyotes/wolves/bears - by IdahoNancy - 12-09-2016, 09:01 PM