Another Lesson
Morgan has had me buffaloed.  I don’t like being buffaloed!

It started with a weepy right eye a couple of weeks ago.  Not like it was infected – just weepy.  No fever, eating fine, acting normal.  He ended up losing the hair about ½” below and forward of the eye. The skin looked like normal skin just a little redder than normal.  I thought it was because of the weeping accumulating there and irritating the skin.  The hair began growing back right away.

Then his face swelled below his eye.  Same thing – no fever, eating fine, acting normal.  I texted my vet, Matt.  When he got back to me he said he was in the mountains elk hunting and would get back to me ASAP.

The next day the bridge of his nose had swollen making him have a Nubian looking Roman nose.  Now I was really getting concerned!  Still no fever, eating fine, acting normal.

Since the Matt wasn’t available I had been talking with Debbi, a goat friend who is also a licensed vet tech and owns an in-home pet car business.  We decided to try Benadryl.  It didn’t have any effect.  Next I gave him a dose of banamine since it is an anti-inflammatory along with being a pain killer.  Still no change 12 hours later.  I checked his eye color using the FAMACHA scale.  He was right in the middle so I decided to de-worm him with Cydectin.  None of these things would have an adverse effect on him and could possibly help.

Matt got back to me this past Saturday and said he’d come out Monday.

Yesterday the eye wasn’t weeping and the swelling was gone but he had developed a quarter sized lump about 1” below his eye and another one on the bridge of his nose about 1” below the eye set.  Still the same thing – no fever, eating fine, acting normal.

Matt came this afternoon.  After taking Morgan’s temp (normal) he examined Morgan’s entire head and inside his mouth.  Then he examined each of the lumps in detail.  When he shaved the lumps and manipulated them it was obvious that even though they felt hard they had pus and were infected.  He was in the process of losing the hair in those areas.  Matt said if it was a different time of year he would think he had been bitten by a snake.  But with that ruled out he felt it was spider bites.  He felt the reason the eye was weeping is because the swelling had closed the eye's drain tube (I can't remember the proper name).

He lightly debrided the lumps and treated them with iodine.  For the next 2 days I’m supposed to wash the lumps areas with warm water, lightly debride them and reapply iodine twice a day.  On Wednesday night I give him an injection of Excede.  I fly to Colorado on Thursday (goats ALWAYS have bad timing for these things!) so Debbi will do the treatments each evening when she feeds my goats and give him a 2nd injection of Excede on Saturday.

I’m always learning something new!  Not that I WANT to – it’s just – goats will be goats!
Goatberries Happen!

Messages In This Thread
Another Lesson - by Taffy - 11-07-2016, 07:34 PM
RE: Another Lesson - by Sanhestar - 11-07-2016, 10:20 PM
RE: Another Lesson - by Charlie Horse - 11-07-2016, 11:46 PM
RE: Another Lesson - by Nanno - 11-08-2016, 08:07 AM
RE: Another Lesson - by Taffy - 11-08-2016, 07:57 PM
RE: Another Lesson - by DownUnder Gal - 12-01-2016, 02:30 PM
RE: Another Lesson - by Taffy - 12-01-2016, 08:32 PM