Urinary Calculi Surgery
I'm so sorry you and William had to go through this. I hope he does ok for you from here on out. It's certainly worrying though. UC is such a frustrating, scary problem because it can happen even when you do everything "right."

One thing to perhaps reconsider in your feeding program is baking soda. I used to feed it myself until I read that baking soda is not good for wethers because it increases the risk of UC. You want them to have more acidic urine and I believe baking soda makes it less acidic and counteracts any ammonium chloride you might feed. I've also read that free choice baking soda is really not necessary for goats of either sex and can interfere with the consumption and absorption of essential minerals. From a history standpoint, I read that baking soda was originally introduced as a supplement for dairy cows because they were being fed such a high grain ration that it was messing up their rumens. Baking soda was fed as a rumen buffer to help them cope with a difficult diet. Something to think about.

I hope William has no more trouble with stones!

Messages In This Thread
Urinary Calculi Surgery - by DownUnder Gal - 09-28-2016, 04:46 PM
RE: Urinary Calculi Surgery - by Nanno - 09-28-2016, 06:18 PM
RE: Urinary Calculi Surgery - by DownUnder Gal - 09-28-2016, 06:58 PM
RE: Urinary Calculi Surgery - by DownUnder Gal - 10-06-2016, 04:35 PM
RE: Urinary Calculi Surgery - by Nanno - 10-07-2016, 08:30 AM
RE: Urinary Calculi Surgery - by DownUnder Gal - 10-31-2016, 12:02 PM
RE: Urinary Calculi Surgery - by IdahoNancy - 11-06-2016, 11:12 PM
RE: Urinary Calculi Surgery - by DownUnder Gal - 11-09-2016, 09:09 PM