Small goats, any chance they will catch up in growth?
So I got 6 goats about a month ago. They are all at 1 year old and they weigh 95, 87, 83, 77, 73, 68lbs. I didn't really think about it at the time but after a little research it would seem that they are way behind in what most packers target for a finished weight. Will they catch up or should I be looking for some replacements? They were castrated at 4 weeks I believe, will this affect the growth rate?

Lots to learn and I may have taken the plunge before I knew what to look for. .. thanks
The early castration might have a small effect on their bone mass but the worry would be UC. Are you treating/supplementing them with ammonia chloride? What breed are they? Pictures would be good. What are you feeding and supplementing them? Any idea what they were being feed? Wormed lately?

They are quite a bit under weight. Id typically like to see a 6 month old around those weights. I have a boy here now that isnt even 2 months old and he is about 50 lbs. I know Legion was 125 lbs at 9-10 months old. So there maybe some hope for the bigger boys but the 68 lbs boy sounds very stunted.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
they will most likely catch up but it might take them a year more than a well fed goat. So don't expect to be able to pack them before they are 4, maybe even 5 years old. If you're on a timetable, look for other animals.

Feed them well, worm them, maybe even have bloodwork done to figure out if they are lacking certain nutrients.

Also don't expect them to grow into giants.

Years ago I took as a rescue a goat that was weighing about 20-25 lbs at 6 months. He grew enough to become a packer but was never among the biggest of our goats. Took him five years, though.

BTW - it's not size, it's heart that makes a packer. As long as they are big enough that you can fit a saddle, you can pack them.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Really need to know the breed here, if they have Pygmy or Nigerian dwarf in their line you aren't doing so bad. Sometimes the other breeds get in the mix back there a ways.
Depends on how much weight you want to put in their packs as well, the smaller guys could probably handle some of the bulkier light equipment.
Like sanhester said, heart is more important in the end.
Depending on their breeding, if you can make sure they're worm-free and if you can get them some good grub, fresh air, sunlight, and plenty of room to play then I see no reason why they won't catch up. I bought a 9-month-old Alpine/Nubian buck last year who couldn't have weight more than 70 lbs. when I bought him. My 6-month old does were half again as big as he was! I was sure he would be stunted for life, but within a few months he had passed up the girls and is now on track for being as big or bigger than Cuzco! I also bought some 2 1/2-year-old Alpine does last year who were terribly under grown, and I was sure they were too old to get much bigger. But they've actually grown quite a bit (they'll always be a bit stunted), but I've been amazed how well an undersized goat can grow if given the opportunity to do so. Their bodies want to live up to their genetic potential.
Thanks for the advice folks. They are alpines. I'm going to continue searching for some replacements to rotate in within the next couple years. They are getting about a cup or two of grain a day (a no no I know ) and AC as well as alfalfa pellets and free choice hay. I feel at this time it is worth the risk of UC to try and pour the feed to them to see what they will do. For my intentions they will need to be big and full of heart. These goats are wonderful company and have plenty of heart but that's not going to be enough when the rubber meets the road. Unfortunately the wife is already attached to them. .. We did 25 miles last weekend with them in 3 days and they kept pace with us just fine. Longest day was close to 12 miles. It was fun but it would have been nice to have them carry our stuff!

Thanks
(03-28-2015, 11:40 AM)Kelpy Wrote: Thanks for the advice folks. They are alpines. I'm going to continue searching for some replacements to rotate in within the next couple years.

That seems pretty small for pure bred Alpines. No matter how cold it sounds & it may make me unpopular...but as many of my goat mentors have told me & I agree... "You can't afford 'Hay-Burners' & it cost just as much to feed a bad goat as it does a good goat."

That said, they all can be good & I love each of my goats individually as they all bring different things to the table. I intentionally have built a varied herd but have had to cull a few a long the way and will do it again if necessary. (I make sure they go to good homes though.) I wish I could keep all of them and want to add a bunch more but reality is I just have so many slots, only so much room, so much time & resources.

Quote:They are getting about a cup or two of grain a day (a no no I know ) and AC as well as alfalfa pellets and free choice hay.

Not all of us disagree with this BUT...we make sure the grain mixture etc. as AC in the mix at the least. Mine are grained (mixture) every morning & night & will be until at least 24 months. YMMV etc.

Quote: I feel at this time it is worth the risk of UC to try and pour the feed to them to see what they will do.

While I agree if you are committed to THESE goats BUT...see advice from all three of my 10, 16, 16 year goat packing mentors advice. While size is NOT everything & heart is, it is nice to try to maximize both. My rule of thumb as well as all my mentors is that they must pack #40's day in day out when conditioned at 4 years. (7-10 miles/day) If they don't or don't fulfill anther roll they are gone. I hate it but I just can't afford other wise.

I currently have 6 mature packers; 4-6 yr olds, 2-4 yr olds & also have 5 yearling kids. I will be adding two more kids next year....then 2 more in 2 more years. We will then see where it goes.

Quote:For my intentions they will need to be big and full of heart. These goats are wonderful company and have plenty of heart but that's not going to be enough when the rubber meets the road.

Agreed...I'm in the same boat.

Quote:Unfortunately the wife is already attached to them. ..

I understand, I have 5 kids & animal loving wife BUT...its part of the process & what you are buying into. It is part of it all & they need to come to understand this if you're going to have farm animals.

Quote: We did 25 miles last weekend with them in 3 days and they kept pace with us just fine. Longest day was close to 12 miles. It was fun but it would have been nice to have them carry our stuff!

NICE! With no saddles, I do not hesitate to take my 6-12 month olds 7-10 miles. I did 10 miles with my 6 month old kids last year in 97 degree heat from 5000-7000 feet...they were fine but tired. I think it was more heat & elevation than distance. Haven't had an opportunity for 12 but conditioning is everything & I wouldn't hesitate if unloaded & in condition.

These are just my opinions with my limited experience but I hope this helps a bit. Good luck & welcome!

TOU
You will do much better to find a quality alfalfa. Grains of any kind are a sugar fat. So the weight you gain from them is not a good weight. A fresh clean alfalfa will put a much better weight on them with much higher levels of protein. Adding to muscle growth. Which is what they need the most. Alfalfa is also much less unbalanced then grains. Although better then grains, alfalfa pellets are not fresh and the alfalfa used is substandard and or mostly stem. Alfalfa at 16% protein is poor quality.

Its lway to early in the season with first cuttings usually hitting the ground in June in most places. But Id check craigslist in your area upto comfortable traveling distance to see if you cant located a dairy quality, non rained on, tarped or stored alfalfa from last year. We found a decent grower locally but up until a couple of years ago, our alfalfa was coming from over 400 miles away and we have a LOT of alfalfa grown in this area. But we put quality before convenience.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)