Bragging on my kid! Though she's not a goat.
The kids with the short ears can be registered as being half Alpine but conforming to the Lamancha breed standard. Grade Experimental would be the breed you put down on your registration application. Description would be elf ears. The one with the longer ears would be registered as Grade Alpine conforming to the Alpine breed standards. Grade Alpine would be the breed.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Yeah we'll have some babies who will be LaMancha/Alpine crosses born in April, and they'll be able to be registered as experimental since the dams are registered as well as the sire. My doe is far from purebred! Lol She's a LaMancha/Nubian/Kiko/Pygmy. Big Grin

I might call them to make sure...

Thanks!

Dave, does that work if the dam isn't registered? She isn't purebred LaMancha, and isn't registered.
Hannah, I just remembered that my Lilly-goat is registered "Grade Experimental" and her dam is unregistered. Her sire is registered Alpine, but her mother is just listed as "Unknown/Unregistered" on the papers. All I know is that the mother was a Saanen type. So yeah, I think you should be able to register those doelings if you want to.
The one erect eared doeling I know I can register. She meets basic breed requirements. Does Lilly have erect ears? As far as I've been told, the doelings would have to be registered as Grade Alpine since their sire is a registered Alpine and their dam is unregistered. But, they also need to meet the breed standard. Elf ears are not the Alpine breed standard. If this isn't true, that'd be awesome. But I was told that's how it worked and the elf eared doeling couldn't be registered as grade Alpine.
You are correct. The elf eared ones cant be registered grade alpine. Now if you bred them to an alpine and those babies had erect ears, then you could reg. them as grade alpine.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Um. What do you get for registering a goat (or anything) in a non-purebred registry? I see these registries as a great gig for someone, but I don't understand what the point is if its not purebred, since any mixed genetics are forever mixed and I don't know that a paper with fancy writing on it changes the value of the animal. Why pay? For that matter, when it comes to mutts, how about I start a registry and you can send your money my way... After all, I'll send you a prettier paper than the other guys!
Okay thanks Dave for confirming what I thought.

We get more for the recorded grade Alpines than a not recorded grade Alpine, because you can breed up to "American" status, which is like 90% or more Alpine in the the way they figure it. Lots of people who have purebred registered animals will also buy an American or grade registered animal. Because they're "mostly" that breed.
Your does couldn't be registered "Grade Alpine," but I think you could register them as "Grade Experimental". Lilly hasn't got "Alpine" listed anywhere in her registration apart from breed of sire. She's just "Grade Experimental."

Charlie Horse, you get to take your goat to shows if they are registered with ADGA. That's actually one thing I think is really cool about ADGA is that they allow experimental crosses to be registered. Whole new breeds can eventually emerge if you encourage experimentation.
Hmm Nanno...I'll have to check that out.
Since I have 4 kids in 4-H it's great for them to be able to show their special goat. Hannah entered a grade alpine last year and did well, especially since it's not a very big class. So for me it's great they allow registration and my kids can show. From a genetic standpoint, we all know about hybred vigor, perhaps the ADGA recognizes it as well. After seeing your art on my new shirt Charlie I have no doubt your registration papers would look great. Maybe you should start a packgoat registry with custom artwork on the papers. Big Grin