Boer
Checked out an awesome 9 month old boer the other day. full of energy and pretty neat. Just wondering opinions on a boer as a packer? I ask a lot here and haven't packed yet but am always researching. I've heard they are lazy, short legged and what not. Thanks a lot
Being a long time dairy goat owner but having been around a number of boers, about the best thing I can say about em is, if finished right, they are tasty! Smile LOL no but really, as a whole they do tend to be lazy, dull and stubborn. Some people have cross bred them with some dairy breeds to bring their size of bone over with good success. But I guess it would depend on your needs. If someone can use a pygmy has a packer, I dont see why you wouldnt be able to give a boer a try. I wouldnt but thats me.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
wouldn't go for a full blood boer, either. Next to the character "flaws" it can be pretty difficult to fit a saddle to them when they develop the sagging back that seems to be typical to some lines.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

It's important to look at every goat as an individual. While Boers might be known for being lazy, this doesn't mean all of them are. Definitely look at conformation. A Boer's "lazy" temperament might stem from the fact that the work is more physically difficult for him than for a goat with a taller, leaner build. Most of the Boers I see are built very square. They are short-legged and stocky with broad chests and wide, mutton-withered backs. This makes it more difficult for the goat to cover ground efficiently. And as Sabine pointed out, they can be difficult to fit packs to because of their typically round, dipped backs and lack of prominent withers. Boers also tend to "waddle" when they walk because of their wide shoulders, which causes the saddle to roll side-to-side with each step and makes them prone to saddle sores.

That said, each goat is an individual. Some Boers are taller and leaner than others with a straighter walk. Look at the back and see if he has withers showing and watch how his back moves. Does his spine go forward and back or is there a lot of side-to-side movement? Are his legs and hooves properly conformed and sturdy enough to hold his body for the long term? This becomes especially important if you have a heavier breed like a Boer because he has to carry extra weight all the time, not just when he's packing. Boers also have a tendency to get overweight easily. Will you be able to restrict his diet so he can stay in shape? Lots of things to consider. Good luck!