Weld County Goat Extravaganza
Phil and I spent the weekend in Greeley at the Weld County Goat Extravaganza where we set up a packgoat information display and did an hour-long presentation. We took Cuzco, Pac-Man, Finn, and Sputnik and we had a great time! Phil says my presentation went well. I did the talk while he managed the four goats we had in the ring. It was fun having several goats so I could show examples of what to look for (and not look for) in conformation and attitude. I also had three different types of saddles set up for people to look at and there was plenty of time for questions.

Unfortunately, we did not get as much traffic as we usually do and thus I was not able to hand out as many cards and flyers. The Extravaganza was so large and crowded this year that we ended up getting put in a back corner of the barn where there would be room to set up our display. Last year we had a main corridor. We also ran another "Goat of Many Colors" contest, but that had a smaller turnout than the last two, probably because of our inconspicuous location. Oh well. We did get about a dozen entries (including my four), so we had enough to make a fun little "parade of color" on Sunday. The winner was a little Nubian doeling named "Cookies 'n' Cream" owned by Sara Warren.

Cuzco was a big hit as usual. Everyone was very impressed when I told them he is 13 years old. He looks amazing for his age. Cuzco loves these events where he gets to be the center of attention. He was genial all weekend, and never even growled at the folks who disregarded his "Admire me from a distance" sign. Every time I took him out of his stall, he strutted along proud and lordly, stepping out with his long, bold strides and his head held high. It's a privilege to have a goat like him who makes it easy to point out good packgoat conformation, and who follows commands perfectly when he's in the spotlight.

Pac-Man took over the cart pulling this year and did an excellent job. He was much better behaved this weekend than he was at the Easter festival a few weeks ago. This goat is already learning what it means to have a job. I was hoping to do more cart rides than we did, but it rained on Sunday and there wasn't enough room in the barn to do the rides indoors like we did last year. So we did the rides outside on Saturday only, which meant we didn't get many customers, but the ones who did ride were enamored. I love the smile on this kid's face. Smile

That same kid wanted to ride again with his friend, and he would not stop honking the horn! I had to tell him to lay off before he drove me and Pac-Man both crazy. I told him to wait until there was a car or some pedestrians to honk at. Tongue

We also set up our agility obstacles on Saturday afternoon. Only one person besides us came out to try (everyone was so darned busy!), but we had a great time out there with Finn and Sputnik. I should have a lot of great photos of this activity soon, but I'm waiting on the man who took them. He had a fancy action shot camera that would take three photos in a row with one button press.

All in all it was a fun weekend. Cuzco wishes we could do this every weekend, and Sputnik might be happy with that too as long as he gets his own stall next to Cuzco again (yes, I had to separate him from the others after I found Finn and Pac-Man using him for a ping-pong ball). Finn and Pac-Man were getting stir crazy in that little stall and Finn kept jumping out by the last day. I had to tie him to the back wall where he looked very forlorn. Pac-Man even started trying to heave his fat belly over the gate toward the end of the last day. But while they didn't like being penned up, they loved the hustle and bustle and all the attention. It was a good experience for everyone.
Way to go! What great publicity for packgoats and goats in general your herd offers! It's too bad you were stuck in a back corner area but if there were that many exhibitors because the Extravaganza are growing that much it's obvious it's a win-win situation for goats! I'm looking forward to more photos! Smile
Goatberries Happen!
Here are the agility course photos I promised. First we have Finn, showing off his skills in the hoop jump. I love the bascule here.

I love this pose!

Finn being friendly. Now we just need to teach him not to "shake hands" ALL the time!

Circus goat!

Finn practices the weave polls in the background while Sputnik poses on the washtub.

"How faaaaarrrr can I reach without overturning the pedestal?" Tongue

Sounds like you suffered from people in charge forgetting that its all about show biz. Your goats are stars and as their agent, I think you need to negotiate some better terms for them. Main walkway displays with their names in lights. Personal motorhomes with catered boots and tin cans. And there had better be bottled water shipped directly from Tibet before it gets warm. If you can pull this off, I hear they're willing to cut you in 15% rather than the current 10%.
Sputnik was on fire that day! He was a lean, mean jumping bean!

Higher Sputnik! Get those legs up!

I love this progression. It was all one jump--approach, arc, and landing--captured on a camera that could take three photos in quick succession with one press of the button. I want a camera this fancy!

Magic levitating goat:

The hoop:

And finally, the patriotic pose:

(04-28-2015, 10:12 PM)Charlie Horse Wrote: Sounds like you suffered from people in charge forgetting that its all about show biz. Your goats are stars and as their agent, I think you need to negotiate some better terms for them. Main walkway displays with their names in lights. Personal motorhomes with catered boots and tin cans. And there had better be bottled water shipped directly from Tibet before it gets warm. If you can pull this off, I hear they're willing to cut you in 15% rather than the current 10%.

Actually, Phil is working on the "names in lights" bit. Wink
I think we could easily manage catered boots and tin cans if we just solicit donations from the crowds. There was already plenty of paper and junk food to go around. I don't think my goats would care much about water from Tibet, but I know they'd love the bottles. Tongue
I am SO impressed with you two and your goats! When I come back I want to be your goat! You all have so much fun and give the goats such a wonderfully fun life! LOVE the photos!
Goatberries Happen!
Awesome! Such cool colorful goats! Thanks for sharing
Bling, they need bling. Like Cuzo's glitter horn you did.
I do love the collars and the beautiful shinny coats.