question for Sanhestar
I do a lot of family history and the majority of my ancestors are Swiss German, but I also have Scottish and Danish blood as well. I was wondering what breeds of goats may some of my ancestors had in the old world. Others may have some input as well or some stories of their own, so feel free to share. Sanhestar clearly has some great knowledge on this topic and I was hoping to pick his brain.
go ahead :-)
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Most of the short eared goats are "swiss" breeds. Nubians are middle eastern / african. Spanish breeds are a mute mix of different breeds and have kinda developed into their own sub breed. Lamancha is the only American bred dairy goat.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
these are the names of the old swiss breeds
Saanenziege - became saanen
Appenzellerziege - similar to saanen but long-haired
Toggenburgerziege - Toggenburg
Gämsfarbige Gebirgsziege - one of the many breeds that are now included in oberhasli
Bündner Strahlenziege
Nera Verzascaziege
Walliser Schwarzhalsziege
Pfauenziege - became alpine
stiefelgeiss
Capra Grigia

Old German breeds
Schwarzwaldziege - oberhasli type
Thüringer Waldziege - developed from local breeds and crossing in toggenburg goats
Erzgebirgsziege - oberhasli type
Frankenziege - oberhasli type
Harzer Ziege - oberhasli type

Danish breeds
Dansk landracegeder - much variability in appearance, 7 accepted colour variations

you should be able to google these breeds.

But, most goats have been bred in small local clusters until in the 19th century herdbooks, etc. were widely established.
Sabine from Germany

Thanks! Our German name was Neubecker, but it was changed to Nebeker when we came to America. Most of my Ancestors came from the Bavaria area. I started looking up some of those breeds. Some fascinating history. It is too bad some of these breeds have been so diluted by crossbreeding or not available here in the US. It would be cool to help keep some of these breeds alive and going outside their original range. Thanks again!
in Bavaria most goats were from the oberhasli variety, brown with black markings = Frankenziege. But I also found "grey and piebald goats" mentioned which the local breeders attempted to breed out of the goat population to create a pure BDE breed (BDE stands for Bunte Deutsche Edelziege and includes all local breeds that share the oberhasli look).
Sabine from Germany

Cool thanks Sanhester! My Naffzger side came from Baden-Wurttenberg area for several generations before moving to Switzerland, then the U.S. I would imagine the same oberhasli type would have been prominent there too. How cool! I have always like obers, now I like them even more. Now if I could only find some from a large blood line like Nancy's! I need them tall and large for packing gear and game meat.
interesting surname....
Sabine from Germany

I also have Wolfley/Wolfli blood and was always told they were Swiss German, but I just checked about six generations and all are from Bern, Switzerland. I guess not as German as I thought, only about 50 percent Smile