Pack Goat Ban in the Wind River Range
Yeah, I'll make sure to post the finished pamphlet. For anyone printing it out, keep in mind that it's a front and back tri-fold leaflet. It's in a very strange order if you just try to read it flat. If you want to put it in a different format you can copy/paste it to your computer and rearrange it.

I also like the idea of putting stuff up top where everyone can see it. I have to enlist Phil's help, though, and he's been so busy lately I haven't even asked him. Maybe he can take a few minutes in the next couple of days.
(04-23-2014, 01:17 PM)Nanno Wrote: Yeah, I'll make sure to post the finished pamphlet. For anyone printing it out, keep in mind that it's a front and back tri-fold leaflet. It's in a very strange order if you just try to read it flat. If you want to put it in a different format you can copy/paste it to your computer and rearrange it.

I also like the idea of putting stuff up top where everyone can see it. I have to enlist Phil's help, though, and he's been so busy lately I haven't even asked him. Maybe he can take a few minutes in the next couple of days.

Nice job & I think this will be a great asset!!

I have also been posting several articles in separate threads that I thought might also be helpful for us all in reaching people about what Goat Packing is all about. A little sugar with medicine is always helpful. Smile Even though it does not directly combat the land closures, I think that things like them can be helpful in furthering the sport and increasing overall opinion and good will...for now & in the long run.

TOU

I also just came across this link for the preliminary findings/study from Dr Drew back in 2004 in a letter to then NAPgA President Jan Huffaker. Just an FYI...interesting study...obviously this is no secret and is the kind of thing being used.

Among other things, I do not see anything definitive and the sample sizes are pretty small. One thing I did get from it is being as our wethers live longer than almost anyone else's, they are likely to be exposed more over their long lives. Hence, we need to be waaaay more vigilant abut their health and Vet care than most.

I look forward to additional comment and clarification to those that have been around longer than I as well as more knowledgeable.

(Please note it will open the article via pdf for you to open or save.)

Dr Mark Drew: Goat/BHS - Wildlife Health Laboratory, Caldwell, Idaho

I don't know how accurate this email address or if he is still there but included it anyway for fun.

TOU
Thanks for the article! I took off the email address though. We don't want any spambots to find it!
Here's the final draft. Taffy, I couldn't be any more specific with the packgoatcentral.com reference since there wasn't enough space and I'm not sure if we might change things on the website.

.pdf   Packgoat.Bans.pdf (Size: 72.71 KB / Downloads: 14)

If anyone wants to use all or part of this, please feel free. You can edit, rearrange, reformat, and otherwise tailor it to your needs. As far as I'm concerned it's free for the taking.
(04-23-2014, 07:33 PM)Nanno Wrote: Thanks for the article! I took off the email address though. We don't want any spambots to find it!
LOL...fair enough. Actually...maybe... Big Grin Just kidding...

TOU
Good morning fellow goat enthusiasts -

Thanks to many of you, NAPgA has raised thousands of dollars in the past few weeks in our fight to keep the Forests open to recreational goatpacking.

Please consider donating to our legal fund. We have an outstanding, knowledgable attorney in Jackson, Wyoming that is very experienced in the areas of Bighorn Sheep.

He really cares about our cause.

You can go to http://www.gofundme.com/Packgoat-access-in-Forest and donate $5, $10, $20 or whatever you can afford at this time. NAPgA is using your donations to fight potential closures in the National Forests in Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California.

If these Forests close to domestic goats, they will never open again. You'll be telling your children how fun goatpacking was while it lasted.

We DO have a chance to keep them open, but NAPgA needs your help. NAPgA is responding in a very professional manner, via our attorney, to the Draft Documents being produced by the Forests. NAPgA has requested a sit-down meeting with the Regional Forest Supervisor in order to negotiate a compromise, where we would like to be able to implement our Best Management Practices.

Please don't sit on the curb and watch the parade go by. We need help from every single person.

Thanks so much to those who have already contributed towards our cause!

Charlie Jennings, Land Use Chairman
NAPgA
Just wanted to copy and paste this. Its one of our few beacons of light.

Extensive research has been conducted in an
effort to understand the mechanisms involved in
disease transmission from domestic animals to
bighorn sheep. A number of penned experiments
have been conducted where domestic sheep
were placed in contact with bighorn sheep
(Foreyt 1989, 1990, 1994; Onderka and
Wishart 1988). In most experiments all bighorn
sheep subsequently died of respiratory disease
(pneumonia). Other experiments included
mixing bighorn sheep with elk, white-tailed
deer, and mule deer; elk alone; domestic
goats; mountain goats; llamas; cattle; horses;
and steers (Foreyt 1992a, 1994; Foreyt and
Lagerquist 1996) . In these experiments only
two of 39 bighorn sheep died. Other research
included the inoculation of
Mannhemia
haemolytica
cultures, which is the strain of
bacteria most often implicated in pneumonia
in bighorn sheep, from domestic sheep into
bighorn sheep (Foreyt et al. 1994; Foreyt and
Silflow 1996; Onderka et al. 1988). Of the 13
bighorn sheep inoculated with these bacteria, 12
died of acute bronchopneumonia.

I didnt realize they had done this with all these other species of animals and even then, there were only 2 deaths total!

Here is a link to WADDLs test/fee list. It just seems something on this level could be added to test goats levels of the above bacteria or have WSU do the testing to see if goats can even infect bighorn sheep on a cellular level...
http://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/fee-schedule

http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=39731
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)