Pack Goat Ban in the Wind River Range
I spoke with Curtis King this morning about his meeting with the Forest Service. I cannot think of a better ambassador for us than Curtis. His skill at "reading people" and conveying our message in a mature and cordial style is unsurpassed. The Biologist and the Forest Service Supervisor opened up to Curtis, and they seemed willing to talk and to listen.

Curtis did a A+++++ job last night and represented us well!!!!

(04-04-2014, 10:36 PM)trail goats Wrote: I have what is probably a dumb question regarding the "penned with domestic goats" experiments that were done.
Where did these goats come from? Was it a closed herd that seemed healthy and had absolutely no prior contact with either domestic or wild sheep in the past?
I know that goats are thought to be "reservoirs" that can pass things from domestic sheep to Bighorn sheep, but I think it's safe to assume that most pack goats don't ever mix with or come in contact with either of the other species.

As I recall, the goats that were selected were "healthy". As I mentioned, the two studies that have been held that pertain to goats reflected positive, but there has only been two penned experiments in the last 20 years using domestic goats.

Domestic Sheep, on the other hand...there have been numerous penned experiments and they not not gone well for the domestic sheep nor the bighorn sheep. So it does not come as too much as a surprise that the Wool Growers in Idaho lost there case.

Fortunately our goats have a much better track record.

Messages In This Thread
Pack Goat Ban in the Wind River Range - by Saph - 01-17-2014, 10:25 AM
RE: Pack Goat Ban in the Wind River Range - by vigilguy - 04-05-2014, 04:33 PM