Cold Weather Clothing
I want to buy some cold weather clothing for my husband. What do you guys wear and how do you layer it so you are protected but not bulky?
Goatberries Happen!
The new lines of long johns are extremely warm and add almost no bulk. I like the silk blends, some brands can be expensive. I work both outside and inside sometimes back and forth all day, I usually wear a set of long johns then t shirt, hoodie, and one of those quilted insulated flannel shirt/jackets. I get by almost all winter with that setup. That's for work and casual, for hunting I wear the best camo I can afford lol.
I hate to name brand advertise but I live in Under Armour for mid-weight, for expedition weight it's Patagonia fleece, both are close to the skin with amazing ability to stay warm even when damp. I am a washable wool lover so I have Smartwool and my husband wears First Lite. Todays wool is beautifully soft, warm, non-bulky and easy to care for. Personally I find silk does not dry well if you get damp. We tend to be active so quick dry works well and is safer for us when we are a long way from home. Nike is putting out a line of quick dry wool. Usually wool is not quick dry but is warm even when damp.
The layering theory is often built on a quick dry fitted base layer near the skin, insulation is the mid-layer which can very according to a persons needs and a weather resistant shell on the outer layer. I avoid cotton of any kind unless I am staying close to home as when it gets wet you get cold fast.