Sheep Canyon Hike
It's so exciting to meet new goat packing folks, and Phil and I had the opportunity to get together with Willie, a.k.a. "PuebloPacker," and his son Caleb and their goats, Spot and Tiny Ears, for a hike in Sheep Canyon yesterday. Phil and I brought the girls with us and a lightweight dog pack for Lilly to carry our sandwiches in. It was an easy three miles and back on mostly level terrain at the bottom of a fairly wide and shallow yet lovely canyon. Phil and I had never been there before.

Lilly squandered all her energy early in the hike. She ran ahead most of the time, then she would run back to us, then race off ahead again. She leaped up rocks, leading all the other goats behind her.

Nubbin poses on the rock.

Tiny Ears thought Lilly was hot stuff, but she wasn't interested in his advances.

During lunch, Lilly demonstrated that she can do with dog packs exactly what she does with blankets.

Pied Piper Caleb leads the goats on their homeward march.

About halfway home, Lilly began to flag. She had spent all her energy running circles around everybody, and now she began to realize that she still had to make it home.

Hanging back with me while I took pictures didn't seem such a bad choice.

Caleb didn't want to ride Spot at first, but his dad knew there was a climb at the end.

It didn't take Caleb long to appreciate his sturdy mount!

Lilly was quite pooped by the time we got back to the truck. We had eaten all the lunch earlier, so the only thing she'd had to carry back was the empty pack with Phil's fleece on it, but that was enough! The photo is lousy, but look closely--Lilly spent most of the ride home with her head resting on Petunia's back.

Maybe next time she goes for a hike she'll think about reserving a little bit of energy for the return trip!
Um. Where's the snow? Or at least the mud!

I wish I had somewhere to hike at this time of year. I'm going out a few times per week with goats, but its only to the local sage brush farms between my neighborhood and the belt route. Its a bit boring but I do get exercise and so do the goats. I remember last year my first hike of the year was a bit shorter than I had hoped because the critters were out of shape.
It looks like everyone had a fantastic time! The picture of Pied Piper Caleb is priceless! His grin while riding made me giggle. Big Grin
Goatberries Happen!
Very cool, I agree the picture of Pied Piper Caleb is my favorite. Looks like a good time !
Great pic's, makes me really want to get out for a hike! Our poor goats have been couped up in their houses for several days with all the rain we're getting.
Living in southern colorado has it's advantages in the winter. The pueblo area has very mild winters with many great hiking opportunities with in a reasonable distance. It was a great time hiking sheep canyon with nan, Phil and their girls. My family and I love our goats and the outings that we get to go on with them.

(01-12-2014, 08:31 AM)Nanno Wrote: About halfway home, Lilly began to flag. She had spent all her energy running circles around everybody, and now she began to realize that she still had to make it home.

Hanging back with me while I took pictures didn't seem such a bad choice.

Caleb didn't want to ride Spot at first, but his dad knew there was a climb at the end.

It didn't take Caleb long to appreciate his sturdy mount!

Lilly was quite pooped by the time we got back to the truck. We had eaten all the lunch earlier, so the only thing she'd had to carry back was the empty pack with Phil's fleece on it, but that was enough! The photo is lousy, but look closely--Lilly spent most of the ride home with her head resting on Petunia's back.

Maybe next time she goes for a hike she'll think about reserving a little bit of energy for the return trip!

Great pictures nan I need to get a copy of the ones with Caleb riding spot.
Life is to short to stay inside, get out and enjoy what God has given us!
Little follow-up here... Willie makes amazing BBQ! He has his own smoker and we bought a couple of racks of ribs and some pulled pork from him a few days ago. We broke into the ribs last night and they were some of the best I've ever eaten! Yay for goats and good BBQ bringing folks together!
Smile Such great adventures!
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(02-04-2014, 05:13 PM)Nanno Wrote: Little follow-up here... Willie makes amazing BBQ! He has his own smoker and we bought a couple of racks of ribs and some pulled pork from him a few days ago. We broke into the ribs last night and they were some of the best I've ever eaten! Yay for goats and good BBQ bringing folks together!

Nan,

I am glad you liked the bbq. once this deep freeze goes away we need to do another hike.
Life is to short to stay inside, get out and enjoy what God has given us!