Colors
(01-12-2014, 06:00 PM)Taffy Wrote: I'd like to see a photo of your peacock pattern goat.

I finally got my goats from where they were boarded, so I'll try today. They have been grazing so far in places that are hard to see from the house Smile.
(01-13-2014, 09:36 AM)AmyB Wrote:
(01-12-2014, 06:00 PM)Taffy Wrote: I'd like to see a photo of your peacock pattern goat.

I finally got my goats from where they were boarded, so I'll try today. They have been grazing so far in places that are hard to see from the house Smile.

Here's a good photo of her:
.jpg   IMAG0153.jpg (Size: 95.9 KB / Downloads: 66)
I've never heard that called peacock pattern before. With dairy goats it's called "cou clair", which is black on the back half and tan or brown on the front. It's one of my favorite colors.
(01-13-2014, 06:17 PM)Nanno Wrote: I've never heard that called peacock pattern before. With dairy goats it's called "cou clair", which is black on the back half and tan or brown on the front. It's one of my favorite colors.

I think maybe the white spots are what make it peacock.
(01-11-2014, 08:52 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: There is only one color for me.

I never tire of pictures of your boys...can't wait to get mine. That said I have a black Lamanacha with white snow flake spots.

I just picked up 7 more on Saturday; four are Alpine/Saanan crosses so have muted Alpine coloring & markings (3 black/white, 1 brown & white.) The last three are originally from Carolyn Eddy & are Alpine/ Saanan/ Boer crosses with again muted Alpine coloring & markings. (2 are black & white & one is brown & white.) Will have to get some pictures soon...

As far as favorites...when it came to coloring & markings...it may be sentimentally influenced but it would be Chester my Alpine I lost last week...he is on my Avatar.
Colors-wow-If they are on a goat I like them! I love my young ober, and my part obers, my alpines are very cool, and my saanens wonderfully monochromatic! And then there is my little buckling soon to be wether, a colorful combination of them all! My alpine doe is bred to an ober (I hope) so there should something wonderfully colorful from her.
[i]
Charlene in Central Orego
n
[/i]
Re. peacock goat pattern

here's a picture of a Swiss peacock goat

http://www.schweizer-gitzi.ch/uploads/pi...nziege.jpg

The name's misleading and has nothing to do with the bird but with a mispelling of an old Swiss word "pfaven" which means "spots" and referred to the black stripes on the face of the goats.

Change the "v" to "u" and you have yourself a peacock goat Idea

The color of goat in the picture above would be foun in a Passeiertaler or Passeirer mountain goat in Swiss and Germany, a local colored variation of the peacock goat (which is white/creamy in front and black in the back). The Passeirer is allowed in several color variations and can come in beautifull roan variations.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

That's some really cool info about where the name "peacock" came from!
And here I was looking forward to seeing a "peacock's tail" patterned goat. Big Grin

It looks like a cou blanc.
Goatberries Happen!