The ultimate pack goat.......in theory
Can someone post a picture of some examples?

I used to have a yak I was training for packing so I'm obviously up for the more exotic types of critters. I'm intrigued.
(02-25-2014, 07:39 AM)Charlie Horse Wrote: Can someone post a picture of some examples?

I used to have a yak I was training for packing so I'm obviously up for the more exotic types of critters. I'm intrigued.

You can find a lot of Ibex pictures on some of the Texas hunt sites, also on the Exotic Animals for Sale site. The Nubian bucks are about the size of many meat goats, around 150 lbs, the does comparable to domestic does. The ALPINES scale the largest of the two species, adult bucks 250lbs or more, does closer to Nubian sized does. I am checking the Exotic Animals for Sale site daily. There are auctions coming up in Mo and Oh both next month. I havent seen any listings yet.

Nebs I will keep you in the loop on what I find out.

Re Yaks I have long admired them with pics of their packing in Nepal and the mtns, awesome. They are also used heavily in Mongolia for packing as well as milk. The goat has the advantage in a couple or three can carry for a backpacker much of what they need plus be transported far easier. I am considering options for my van when hauling the wagon. I think I can carry up to 3, plus feed in the van. And have some room left over. I am also looking at a hay rack for the back over the hitch to carry several bales of hay. We'll see. Dodgy

I need to get started on the wagon next month. Right now the RV is well snowed in, and I dont know what shape the tires are in. Much to get done before I can make it to the rendy. -3 out right now, high this pm of maybe 5, winter is still alive and well.

I am on a waiting list for a pair of Kiko kids, the buck is out of the largest doe he has, the sire is right at 250lbs. If all goes well they will be coming to the rendy. I hope to get several kids by the buckling and then will neuter him once he has a son or two. So he will start carrying a harness and then baby pack from the git go. The doeling too just so she wont feel left out. Big Grin

Jake

Mikado, MI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capra_(genus)

Some more reading on the different Ibex species. I was emailed by a guy in North Texas who has Persian Ibex, close to Alpine size, I dont know if the weathers would be bigger then a Kiko wether or not. The Persian is a possibility, just from a bias towards national home roots. It was the Middle East species. But I am still looking for some Alpines. As it stands I will be going down to eastern MO to pick up a pair of Kikos first week of April.

Jake

Mikado, MI
I have been searching for Alpine Ibex doelings, they are VERY pricey. Out of my reach so far. I am picking up a pair of Kiko kids first week in April and want to bring them to the Rendy, it would be great socializing for them as well as trail training. I am also hoping to have an English Shepherd pup to get into the goat world fun. But, its not born yet. We'll see what will be.

I am considering a move west, from Wa to Az, somewhere in there. I love what I have seen of Utah, also Az. So its a wide open west to scout out. Looking for 5-10 acres, preferably with water and a place to park an RV. And lots of open space from there on. And not too many -25 F nights. None would be really nice.

Jake

Mikado, MI