The ultimate pack goat.......in theory
That is my thinking also. And this place is my first choice of where to get a buck from. Actually I'd like a trio. A buck and two doelings. Their performance figures are very impressive, and on forage. ALSO, on the ones listed for sale they show how many siblings it has, and if the doe raised all. That impresses me. Its a good days drive for you, a very long one for me. I' d even consider having them shipped. Or, combine the rondy with a visit there. Getting the time to do it is the big question for me.

Jake

Mikado, MI
personally wouldn't go down the ibex route. Our goats are companion animals because they have been bred to live around humans for thousands of years. And we rely on that bonding capacity a lot in packing. Wouldn't want to risk this trait which I consider one of the most important because of the possibility of having a larger goat. Larger wouldn't be worth much if the goat wasn't willing to work or to stay close to me.

Hybrid vigor can also be achieved by crossing other breeds.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Not much of a worry there. They are herding animals like goats. As long as you are part of the herd, they would follow. It would be their ability to jump fences that would keep me up at night Smile hehe
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
yes, they might follow. But how will they be in regard to daily handling, especially on a trail? I have enough pseudo-tame goats in my own herd (and ALL of them have been handled daily since birth in their first half year, some bottle-raised) and also among people that ask for advice that I don't want to start such an experiment. They are ok in a herd but a pain in the ... when it comes to training them to work.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

I find this very interesting & look forward to watching this venture!
That said, I think Sabine really brings up some very valid points. These are points that are not as easily answered definitively for the long run without real life data as they are on the cuff on the Net. They are ones I would want to know before investing time & money in such kids. Even though I too am always on the prowel for the largest animals...as many long term experienced packers (not me) seem to suggest biggest doesn't always equal the best on trail packers at 10,000 ft on a 30-50 mile trip.

Just a couple of very limited thoughts,

TOU
As a registered dairy goat breeder, I wouldnt/couldnt entertain cross breeding to a breed like a spanish or kiko. Finding out how the buck kids turned out is one thing but it would be much harder to sell the does off of such breedings to the dairies. The Ibex idea would on the other hand be worth it as the buck kid value would surpass the doe kid value. The only thing then is what would I do with Ibex cross doe kids? Smile

So if any does undertake some cross breeding, it will be interesting to hear the outcomes.

(02-06-2014, 12:14 PM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: So if any does undertake some cross breeding, it will be interesting to hear the outcomes.

You'd eat the does! Tongue
Goatberries Happen!
That's funny! I would by the does so I could cross them another generation to an alpine dairy buck. That way the hybrid is 3/4 Alpine. But it was all just an idea Smile
Sure Kirk, that works for the first gen or two but goats are as bad as bunnies Smile

And eating em might be the answer! Bet they would be freaking tasty!

Fascinating thread. Hand raising of any species gives a far different adult then herd or pack raising. The adult is bonded to the human.

I myself would love to buy some 1/2 Ibex does to breed to a Kiko. It would be fascinating. What is the mature size of the Ibex buck? I am thinking that a 1/4 Ibex would have shorter horns. But horn length is not as big a concern to me as it is to some others. A horned animal ALWAYS knows where its horn is, goats, caatle, elk, you name it. I have had Texas Longhorns, and they would deftly cant their head aside to let me reach a grain pan to add some grain . Move it just 4-6" aside to let me pass. So, horns are not that a danger concern to me.

I am interest in breeding a larger goat to carry more weight and the Ibex cross should if anything add more dexterity .

BTW, for those more towards the East of the country there is a Kiko breeder in Ill with a very good herd, Kikocraigadams.com, he is sold out now but will have kids soon. I am considering a buckling from him.

I am going to do some searching on Ibex breeders in the U.S., this thread has got me wondering and thinking. What if............?

It is impossible to detect a difference between the DNA of an arctic wolf, and a Siberian Husky. I would make a pretty good bet that the DNA of a hybrid Ibex/domestic goat and an Alpine or Kiko would be likewise. If, two species are close enough that they can produce fertile offspring then for all practical purposes their DNAs are going to test the same.

Jake

Mikado, MI