What age to start hiking? packing?
So is there a reason too not pack till there older? I mean if you keep the load light not sure that it will impact there spinal column and such? my goats will be 18 months this fall, I would like too go and backpack for mule deer this fall in some high country here in Idaho, I have 3 alpines, would it be ok too say put 12 pounds or so on each? that way they can at least carry out the deer for me and I can carry camp?
Matt
I took my 18 month old Alpine hunting with me a few years ago and he carried about 10 lbs of survival gear, my lunch, first aid kits, camera, etc. He had been on some other light load hikes that season. He did great and I cant see 10 lbs hurting him. Look on the old archives which are now on The Goat Spot Forum and you will find many differing opinions, from people putting 35 lbs on a one year old (I would NOT recommend) to people who will tell you you will cripple your goat if you put a feather on them before they are fully four years old. Again, IMHO I think you are safe with the 10% at a minimum of 1 year and 100 lbs and increase that by 5% per year.
(02-03-2015, 11:28 AM)SMaxwell Wrote: I took my 18 month old Alpine hunting with me a few years ago and he carried about 10 lbs of survival gear, my lunch, first aid kits, camera, etc. He had been on some other light load hikes that season. He did great and I cant see 10 lbs hurting him. Look on the old archives which are now on The Goat Spot Forum and you will find many differing opinions, from people putting 35 lbs on a one year old (I would NOT recommend) to people who will tell you you will cripple your goat if you put a feather on them before they are fully four years old. Again, IMHO I think you are safe with the 10% at a minimum of 1 year and 100 lbs and increase that by 5% per year.

I'm thinking 60lbs between 3-18 month old alpines, that would be the boned out meat from the deer, so 20lbs each, they will be about 125-150 lbs by than, I walk the goats every day, go to mtns 1 a week, so there in shape, is this a good idea? All comments welcome,
Matt
You will need to build up their conditioning and endurance. Dont aim for a set pound amount until you see for yourself what they can and cant do. To much weight to soon and you could potentially damage your goats if driven to hard for to long. Weight should also be determined by the terrain and distance as well. A goats max weight is drastically different on step terrain and over long fast paced distances. A good way to see how your goat is taking the weight is to do a good moderately hard hike. Say 5 miles and stop. If your goat instantly lays down or tries to during the hike, he is over weighted.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Nice thing about deer hunting is you can get the meat out with 3 goats in one packing session. Elk hunting you need to watch your loads as you may need to make another round trip and you don't want to poop out your packers. In addition to terrain or elevation gain and distance that Dave noted I also take into consideration the temperature which can be another stress.
Great input, thanks, the terrain is usually on steep stuff, but there are nice trails, so no going up or down, more just side hilling it, typical backpack trail or closed logging roads, not real difficult, most hunt's are done 3-5 miles out from the truck, the elevation may be something too consider, live in Caldwell, not sure but I think its about 2300' - it would be about a 4000-6000 elevation gain too hunting camp, the temps in early Sept. should be in the 70's for high's maybe, and lows get close too freezing, I will test them without a load after they turn 1 year old in March.

Also IdahoNancy-I plan on doing only 1 trip for an elk, me the wife and 3 goats should be able too get it out in 1 load, The wife and I packed her cow out 2 years ago in two trips of boned meat, so I think we can get a cow at least in 1 trip, a big bull well that might be another thing, it took me 5 trips by myself last year too get my bull out 2 miles in, that sucked,
Matt