Preventing Pneumonia
Last year Cuzco got attacked by coyotes and ran away from home in a blind panic. He ran three miles, likely at top speed, which was quite a feat for a 10-year-old goat. He never quite recovered from the lung damage incurred by that life-or-death race and experiences mild dry coughing from time to time and some hacking and wheezing whenever he trots or runs too far.

I noticed him having respiratory problems during cold spells last winter which included coughing and clear or white nasal discharge, but he never developed any sickness. He had a little of the same thing during last month's cold spell, but last night it got cold again and this morning he was coughing quite a bit and had a lot of snot. I can hear it all up and down his sinus cavity when he breaths (until he gets mad and blows it out all over the place!). It's still just clear or milky white, so I don't think he has an infection, but I'm concerned that it could become one if it goes on very long.

Is there anything I should be doing to prevent pneumonia from developing, or should I just keep watching him and wiping his nose? He seems to feel fine when he's not coughing.
I'm not sure if I only thought about it but never wrote in down or if it got lost in the move of the old forum.

Homoeopathy works well for lung damage after excertion: Arnica M - one or two doses should do the trick.

Vit. E is what Pat Coleby suggests for lung damage.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Are you sure it's arnica m? I looked into it and it seems that arnica is usually used for bruising and swelling. I'm also not sure I can get it in the U.S. but I can look.
Other then what you are already doing (a good place outta the wind and wet) I cant recall ever hearing of a preventive. But will ask the other half and see what I can dig up.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Here is a link to info on pneumonia in goats and prevention protocol. The info on the trace minerals and vit. E were especially good.
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0091/UNP-0091.pdf

This website has a plethora of information on diseases.
http://www.sheepandgoat.com/bacterial.html

You can vaccinate for pneumonia but since Cuzco is already exhibiting symptoms I'm not sure it's a good time to do so. That would be a vet's decision.

Everything I've read talks about separating the animal from the herd and keeping them warm, dry and comfortable with quality hay and fresh water. Sounds like Cuzco should be enjoying couch time in your basement while being hand fed and watered.

I hope he feels better soon.
Goatberries Happen!
It should be noted that there are two kinda of pneumonia. Once viral and one interstitial pneumonia. Which is more or less environmental (cold, wet, windy). The later cant be vaccinated for but as mentioned you can do the prevention steps such as vitamins.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Hmm... thanks for the tips guys. I'll see about the vitamin supplements. He gets free choice loose minerals. I don't think there's any gunk in his lungs--his cough is dry. He's got all this clear nasal discharge and I can hear it rattling in his nose but not in his lungs. It's like he's got a common cold rather than some kind of infection. I haven't yet taken his temperature but I can tell by looking a him he hasn't got a fever. He's been chasing Pac-Man all over the pen and playing like a youngster. His shed is dry, draft-free, and deep-bedded with clean straw and it's supposed to be warmer this week, so hopefully he'll kick this cold quickly before it turns into something nasty.
(01-07-2014, 08:14 AM)Nanno Wrote: Are you sure it's arnica m? I looked into it and it seems that arnica is usually used for bruising and swelling. I'm also not sure I can get it in the U.S. but I can look.

yes, I'm sure - being a homoeopathic practitioner Smile

Arnica is for all kinds of over-excertion and damage caused by over-excertion. An overall feeling of "being beaten, don't want to move, stiffness" as you have in muscle-soreness but also over-excertion of heart (athlete heart) and lungs.
Sabine from Germany

I'll have to see if I can find some arnica m then. Would I get pills and crush them up on his food?
try to get what is called globuli. These are small (needle head size) pills which you easily put in the goat's mouth directly.
Sabine from Germany