Riding goats?
Hello! I live in north Idaho and my uncle has pack goats and recommended trying them to us. My husband and I have always been very active hunting fishing hiking etc. we have threee little boys 4 yrs 2 yrs and 9 mo. We want to get out with them more as they get older and we thought gots would be a good way to get them out camping with us. I grew up on a farm and we have 7 acres of pasture so I am familiar with taking care of livestock. My biggest draw to goats is they are less dangerous to have my little guys around than horses. My middle son was in a terrible accident last summer and is having surgery to remove his leg above the knee this winter. He will have a prosthetic but he only weighs 24 pounds and we are afraid much hiking at all wouldn’t be a fun experience for him. My uncle told me his daughter rode their biggest goat when she was little. I’m wondering if this is an option for our boy? I hate the idea of having to wait years to take them hiking till he’s big enough to go for very long. My husband and I wean carry him but then wouldn’t be able to bring gear. 
We are interested in buying some kids to raise up for packing but would like a nice experienced gentle goat to use for him in the meantime.
Hello and welcome to our packgoat forums! I'm so sorry to hear about your son's accident. What a tragic thing for a little tyke to go through!
I don't see any reason why he couldn't ride a big goat. I recommend one without horns. I see photos of kids riding horned goats, but it would be very easy for a horn to catch a rider in the face just by turning his head too far.

It takes time to train up youngsters and by the time your kid goats are grown up and ready to pack your son will have outgrown them. A gentle, experienced goat would be perfect. One that is already established and steady on the trail. That way you're not dealing with a skittish or clumsy youngster while also teaching your son to balance on a goat. Young goats are notorious for bashing their packsaddles on rocks, tree branches, and every other obstacle along the way. Older goats have usually outgrown this tendency.

Best of luck finding just the perfect goat(s) for your family's needs!
I'm sorry about your son's accident.

I agree with Nan, use disbudded goats for riding.

Getting a mature goat for your son to ride will help him learn balance and give him freedom to get out with you.

Join NAPgA, the organization that represents goatpackers.  You can also download the free 67 page Packgoat Guidebook from the NAPgA website.  https://www.napga.org/packgoat-guidebook/

Join the North American Packgoat Association Discussion Group on Facebook.  Post there and you may get a response from someone who has a goat that will fill your need.  Remember - you need to have at least 2 goats because they are heard animals.

I hope to meet you at the NAPgA Rendezvous south of Evanston, WY next June!
Goatberries Happen!