WSU Bighorn Sheep Study
We just finished a farm inspection by the WSDA/USDA (passed with flying colors - again!). Dr. Ben Smith does the inspections and he is based out of WSU.

I spoke with him about the packgoat study and the issue of goats getting lumped with sheep. He wasn't aware of the study but had seen a bighorn, a goat and a cow in an enclosure and wondered what was going on. if you are familiar with WSU the enclosure is over by the grizzly bears. I mentioned the grizzlies probably thought the bighorn, goat and cow looked delicious. He laughed and said they couldn't see each other.

He knew about the wool growers and beef producers putting a lot of money into fighting the closures. He said if it was possible it would be good for us to join them and pool our money rather than trying to go alone.

He said WSU scientists are very good about basing studies on the science and not on their (or others) opinions. I'm not sure that's fully true but will take his word for it at this point.

Has anyone heard any more news about the study?
Goatberries Happen!
I have also been wondering how the study is going. Thanks for sharing.
Dr. Tom Besser is conducting the study. Curtis King has been conversing with him i believe. I have as well.
Any update on the study? Does it seem like Dr. Besser is staying neutral and going to base findings on science not opinion?
Goatberries Happen!
My gut feeling, whatever that is worth, is that he is unbiased and loves to do research. i have spoken with him on the phone on two different occasions and is a real down to earth fellow.

It has been awhile since we have spoken and at that time he was in the middle of testing the domestic goats and bighorn sheep.
Let's hope your gut is right! Big Grin

(08-01-2014, 08:17 PM)vigilguy Wrote: My gut feeling, whatever that is worth, is that he is unbiased and loves to do research. i have spoken with him on the phone on two different occasions and is a real down to earth fellow.

It has been awhile since we have spoken and at that time he was in the middle of testing the domestic goats and bighorn sheep.
Goatberries Happen!
I know the study has been going on for several months. I am curious to know if any of the bighorns around the goats have gotten sick.
I'm with you nebs. It would be nice if we could get an update on the study. Those in contact with the researcher - is that possible?
Goatberries Happen!