The End of an Era
This morning we said goodbye to my beloved friend, Sputnik. He had developed a chronic lameness that was getting worse by the day even with heavy painkillers. I won't go on about it now because I have family visiting, but suffice to say that I miss him terribly and there will be a big hole in our herd with him gone. You were something special and I'll sure miss ya, ol' buddy.  

My heart hurts for you Nan.  Sputnik was a wonderful goat.
Goatberries Happen!
My heart aches for you! I met Sputnik, and loved him at first sight! He was a great goat!
Oh Nan!  I am so sorry to hear about Sputty Sputnik!  I will never forget the time we taught him to swim when we were at the Island Park Rendezvous, he made such a racket, you would have thought we were trying to drown him. Big Grin   
Or the time we all summited 14,321 Uncompahgre Peak, after the Rendezvous in Lake City, with more goats than humans.  He was such a character & will surely be missed.  May these memories be a blessing to you & Phil--Saph

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It was too soon for him. I feel bad. I knew it may be coming but I was still kinda shocked to see this. He'd been having trouble for a couple years. Poor guy.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I was so busy after we put Sputnik down that I didn't even have time to mourn him until a week later. I spent some time sitting beside his grave this past Thursday, and today I wrote up a tribute to him on my blog:

https://www.goatorama.com/2022/07/02/the...-remember/

Sputnik was a good and faithful friend. His name means "fellow traveler" in Russian. I didn't realize that until years after I'd named him. It couldn't have been more fitting.
Great story and fabulous pictures Nan. Thanks for sharing Sputnik with us.
Wow people, DONT FAIL TO CLICK THAT LINK!  Such great photos.  Sputnik lived a grand life.  Just like my Bacchus, he lived more in what years he had than dozens of regular goats.

I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
Just now seeing this. So sorry, Nan. He was a great fellow.
I'm so sorry to hear that Sputnik is gone!  He was such a big, beautiful boy! Even without having ever met him, I can tell he was a legend. Heart  

How is Finn doing these days?
Breeding Kinders in Western NC since 2019