Starting clicker training
I'd like to start clicker training with my goats to help them pickup on commands and just normal manners in general I just don't know where to start. Am I able to just jump straight into it or is there any previous training the goats will need. Also wondering what clickers people use and like or will any of them work? Last question as well do goats start to pickup on the clicker meaning they are doing something correctly as it is used more or does it always take the same amount of time to teach them something no matter how long they have been doing clicker training. Thanks!
You can jump straight into clicker training without any previous training. I prefer to click with my tongue so I don't have to hold anything in my hands. As for your last question, the more goats learn, the faster they learn. They basically "learn how to learn" and once they've learned a few basic commands, more complicated commands come more easily. Of course, some goats learn certain commands more easily than others. A goat with a natural inclination to paw at your legs might learn to "shake hands" in a single 15-minute session while another that's shy about having his feet handled might take three days to learn the same trick. Most goats learn to touch and follow a target very quickly and easily. I use a tennis ball on a stick and have them touch their nose to it. Then I click and reward. Pretty soon they're following that tennis ball all over the place.

Good luck and let us know your progress!
(05-02-2022, 08:17 AM)Nanno Wrote: You can jump straight into clicker training without any previous training. I prefer to click with my tongue so I don't have to hold anything in my hands. As for your last question, the more goats learn, the faster they learn. They basically "learn how to learn" and once they've learned a few basic commands, more complicated commands come more easily. Of course, some goats learn certain commands more easily than others. A goat with a natural inclination to paw at your legs might learn to "shake hands" in a single 15-minute session while another that's shy about having his feet handled might take three days to learn the same trick. Most goats learn to touch and follow a target very quickly and easily. I use a tennis ball on a stick and have them touch their nose to it. Then I click and reward. Pretty soon they're following that tennis ball all over the place.

Good luck and let us know your progress!

Awesome thank you very much and I will definitely be back to let everyone know how quickly my boys start picking it up!