Hello all! Kinder Breeder Here
(03-19-2023, 10:02 AM)Charlie Horse Wrote: Hah those ARE cute babies.  Might only be good for carrying waterbottles and sandwiches if they're that small.  Kind of like a dog with a pack.  But to be honest, thats all that I need to carry 9 of 10 trips.  That 10th trip though.....

We aren't very serious hikers.  Day hikes are really the only thing we do, so carrying a lot of gear isn't something we ever need.  We generally get by with a back pack on one of our party members and everyone carrying their own water.  We do like our trail mix though, so maybe he could carry that.  Big Grin
Breeding Kinders in Western NC since 2019 
(03-18-2023, 05:10 PM)MellonFriend Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 01:35 PM)dragonmaker Wrote: Good to see you! I know you from TGS (I’m singinggoatgirl there). I tend to keep quiet, but love reading from the experts here! You found the right people for packing questions!

Hey you!  With you being a member of the soapmaking forum too, that puts you on all of the forums I frequent.  Tongue  I didn't know you had any pack goats.

I bought some of Nanno’s babies, including one doe who can’t be bred, but has the perfect temperament and lovely conformation of a pack goat. Her name is Ash. We haven’t gone out on any hikes due to a health issue of mine that popped up not long after I bought her, but she has carried my mail back from the mailbox in a pack for me on a practice session. She’s good with wearing the pack! She has also learned to touch a target with her nose for scratches and comfort.
(03-19-2023, 02:57 PM)dragonmaker Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 01:35 PM)dragonmaker Wrote: Good to see you! I know you from TGS (I’m singinggoatgirl there). I tend to keep quiet, but love reading from the experts here! You found the right people for packing questions!

Hey you!  With you being a member of the soapmaking forum too, that puts you on all of the forums I frequent.  Tongue  I didn't know you had any pack goats.

I bought some of Nanno’s babies, including one doe who can’t be bred, but has the perfect temperament and lovely conformation of a pack goat. Her name is Ash. We haven’t gone out on any hikes due to a health issue of mine that popped up not long after I bought her, but she has carried my mail back from the mailbox in a pack for me on a practice session. She’s good with wearing the pack! She has also learned to touch a target with her nose for scratches and comfort.

That's awesome!  I wish you good health so you can get on the trail with her!
I got some pictures of Mr. Moon on my lower resolution camera yesterday.  I then tried out an old goat halter as a harness on him and we walked up to the house and he came in for a visit.  He did fantastic on the leash and had a good snuggle with my mom while we watched TV.  Big Grin

(03-19-2023, 05:16 PM)MellonFriend Wrote:
(03-19-2023, 02:57 PM)dragonmaker Wrote:

That's awesome!  I wish you good health so you can get on the trail with her!

Thanks!

Mr. Moon is such a cutie! I hope he turns into your dream packer!
Mr. Moon is so adorable! Sounds like he's a perfect candidate for becoming your hiking companion. :-)

Dragonmaker, I'm so glad Ashanti is working out well as a companion/working goat. She was always such a bold, curious baby and nicely built so it's a real shame about her extra teat.

I still have not heard anything back from ADGA about the papers on the other does you bought. I hope they're all doing well. Have they all had kids of their own by now? I know Diamond had kids last year but I don't remember about the others. Conchita's and Ash's mother went to a family who needed a younger milk goat and they are absolutely thrilled with her production and with her milk quality. Apparently I did not realize that Mocha is alpha casein positive, so the family is getting the real stretchy, nice mozzarella cheese. I wonder if Conchita inherited that gene?
(03-20-2023, 10:35 AM)Nanno Wrote: Mr. Moon is so adorable! Sounds like he's a perfect candidate for becoming your hiking companion. :-)

Dragonmaker, I'm so glad Ashanti is working out well as a companion/working goat. She was always such a bold, curious baby and nicely built so it's a real shame about her extra teat.
Well this is really funny.  Mr. Moon was originally going to be sold as an intact buckling, but I discovered he had an extra teat and that wrecked all my plans.  It was really devastating to find, but it seems like it's going to work out in his favor for staying with me and being a pet.  Mr. Moon and Ashanti can be internet extra teat pack goat buddies. Tongue Wink
Darn those extra teats! Still, I always feel like pack wethers in particular are much happier in the long run than bucks. Bucks often lead lonely, stressful lives compared to other goats and it always makes me a little sad for them.
(03-20-2023, 04:10 PM)Nanno Wrote: Darn those extra teats! Still, I always feel like pack wethers in particular are much happier in the long run than bucks. Bucks often lead lonely, stressful lives compared to other goats and it always makes me a little sad for them.

That's the truth!  My two adult bucks are being so mental right now, it's insane.  I don't know why they are acting like they are in the rut.  It's way too early for them to be starting this kind of behavior.  They spent a whole day standing at a stick and blubbering at it.  Huh  A whole day! 

I had a good time today shopping on etsy for all sorts of moon themed collars and dog tags.  They make some really cool stuff!  I'm just about as equally excited to spoil Moon with paraphernalia as I am to get him packing.  Big Grin
All 3 does had babies. All doe and buck twins. I sold all the bucklings and kept Diamond’s doe kid for my daughter (her name is Moonspot) and Connie(Conchita)’s doe kid, Chip, for myself. I sold both of Ruby’s kids. I didn’t milk them long, but the milk tasted lovely! Now I’m curious about Connie’s milk. Maybe I could test it one day in the future.

Ash and Moon, double teat buddies! At least their occupations don’t require good teat structure!