doggie pack for training
I'm new to goat packing. I got a couple of kids this spring. We've been doing short walks in the woods and the lead pretty well following right behind me.
I'm looking to take the next step and start getting the use to wearing a pack by starting with an empty doggie pack.
What doggie packs have folks had the best luck with or like the best?
Any thoughts about either of these?
http://www.rei.com/product/832677/rei-ul...s#specsTab
http://www.rei.com/product/855788/ruffwe...h-dog-pack
I have one very similar to the Ruffwear pack and it's pretty good, but like any soft pack it likes to roll to one side. I have to balance it very carefully, and even then I'm always grabbing the top handle and righting it. It works well when empty, but the whole purpose of a pack of course is to put stuff in it. Wink

If you're just doing little short hikes and putting nothing heavier than your lunch in it then it should do fine. Make sure your goats are old enough for the load though. The nice thing about goats is that they rarely need to get used to packs the way horses and mules do. If they are bonded with you and trust you then they tend to be ok with pretty much anything you put on them. Keep us posted on their progress! We also love photos of people's goats!
I keep repeating myself. You don't need to get goats used to carry something on their back like horses. Right now they are too young to carry significant weight and you can train so much in the time they take to grow up that is useful, without packing them: trail and camp discipline, encounters of all kinds, loading, standing, etc. etc.

Safe your money for a saddle and panniers when they are old enough that those things fit.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Yeah a dog pack would mostly be used to keep other campers from asking "Whaaa? Why goats?"

A goat gets used to a pack saddle in about 2 minutes. I've seen it many many times now and I have yet to see any problems.

I cant even keep a dog pack centered on... my dog. They just don't work that well.
All

Thanks for the great advice. I'll save my hard earned money for sawbucks and paniers.

We'll keep working on loading, leading, general manners, etc.

Sorry it took me a while to get back with my thanks.